Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 base model convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve ordered a staggered set from American Muscle for my 03 v6. They are the Deep Dish bullit replica wheels that AM offers. They said they would fit and I also contacted their support for confirmation both times confirming if they would fit. I’ve ordered 275/35/R18 for front and 285/35/R18 for rear as what AM recommended. Would this set up work? I have stock suspension with a crate motor slightly pushing more Hp and with true duals. The plans is to eventually 5.0 swap ofcourse but wanted to go ahead and get the rims and tires ready for when I do. Any comments and help would be appreciated as this is my first time buying rims and tires for this mustang. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t have any clearance issues. As I’ve seen many GT’s run this set up but no V6s yet. I know it’s silly to have big tires that my car may not push as well as the V8s but it’s soley for looks until I build it more. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
Greetings!

Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Someone will be along shortly to offer advice.

Reactions: Trippywoodstock

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,373 Posts
If they fit the GT in the same year then I don't see why they wouldn't fit the v6. It's kind of senseless to spend $ on wheels and tires that aren't going to be much help to you right now.
A 4.6 swap would be easier than a 5.0 swap but even then it's a major project because of all the wiring and computer controlled everything.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
I am not sure about the clearance on the V6 but I'd assume that Cobra is correct -- if they fit the GT, they should fit on the V6.

I'm pretty sure 275 tires are borderline or too wide for a 9" wheel ... look up the tires you are considering on Tire Rack, check the "specs" tab, and look at the recommended wheel rim width range. Ideally you want the wheel to be at least the "measuring width" for the tire, and most 275 tires that I have looked at, have a 9.5" measuring width. 9" is probably the narrow end of the range. Yes the tires will go on the wheels and they won't fall off or anything crazy like that, but you're basically paying for rubber that is not touching the road. 255 is a better fit for a 9" wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure about the clearance on the V6 but I'd assume that Cobra is correct -- if they fit the GT, they should fit on the V6.

I'm pretty sure 275 tires are borderline or too wide for a 9" wheel ... look up the tires you are considering on Tire Rack, check the "specs" tab, and look at the recommended wheel rim width range. Ideally you want the wheel to be at least the "measuring width" for the tire, and most 275 tires that I have looked at, have a 9.5" measuring width. 9" is probably the narrow end of the range. Yes the tires will go on the wheels and they won't fall off or anything crazy like that, but you're basically paying for rubber that is not touching the road. 255 is a better fit for a 9" wheel.
Thank you! I was thinking 255-265 up front and doing 275 in the back. I’ve already ordered 275 for the front going by AM recommended ofc (silly me) I’ll see how they ride and more than likely next buy will be 265 up front And 275 in the back. First time buying rims and tires for this car so I didn’t know what set up works best lol. Regardless I appreciate you and The other commenter for the advice! I plan to 5.0 swap this ride eventually as I put another 3.8 in it so I could focus on suspension/body work for the time being as the car needed much love. I’d love to 4.6 swap but as parts have become much harder to find, and ford discontinuing most parts for the 3.8 have kinda put me at a stand-off and usually finding myself in a junkyard. I’d love to be building a 4.6 but even that still runs a pretty penny. I think I’ll just save up fully for a 5.0 swap and call it done, should be interesting (= appreciate the advice I will post my update for the fitment when the tires come in and I have them mounted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Deep Dish Gloss Black Bullit rims are infact perfect for V6 and V8 mustangs!
2003 base convertible with crate V6 3.8 motor.
18x9 275/35/R18 Front
18x10 285/35/R18 Rear
Running Kenda Kaiser KR20A tires.
No rubbing and perfect fitment no need of spacers etc. full turn radius is there and no rubbing or any scrape/pop sounds so it seems like AM knows their stuff! Does hug the ground which is good for traction and cornering I only noticed a small drop in acceleration (on take off) once the car gets going it’s a lot peppier than stock tires and turning has been amazing since there’s no rub! I do recommend 18s fully now after having 17 in aftermarket’s for the entirety of my cars life this is a nice change up for once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts