·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current mod list on my 2003 SVT Cobra consists of the following:

Steeda Cold Air Intake
3 Chamber Flowmaster cat-back exhaust
Hurst short-throw

I would like to do the Hypertech (or similar) tuning upgrade along with the 2.8" pulley on the blower and smaller serpentine belt to fit. However, I was told that if I had already made the upgrades on the intake and exhaust that I may have some problems with the tuning and could actually lose power since the Hypertech is set up to optimize the fuel delivery, ignition timing and boost. Can anyone offer me advice/suggestions as to what I should do now that I already have the intake and exhaust mods in place? Thank you in advance...

·
Registered
252 Posts
why would that hurt you engine? youd be adding power. just make sure if you run a smaller pully to get it tuned custom or with a handheld tuner, and you'll be okay

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just corrected my original post...

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Def don't get the hypertech. you must have watched the old horsepower tv when the 03 was tested there.
Get a Xcal3 or Diablo, Xcal is best to me. Get your mods, then order the tuner and tell them everything you got for you car. they will put a tune in it, upload it to your car. Eventually you need a dyno tune though for optimal but safe power.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Def don't get the hypertech. you must have watched the old horsepower tv when the 03 was tested there.
quote]

You're exactly right...I was on YouTube the other day and saw the video. I'll look in the Xcal3. From what you are saying, it sounds like all i have to do is let them know what my current mods are and they will send me the program to upload through the handheld that is customized for my current set-up?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Hypertech Tuners are dinosaur parts, get a hand held (Predator, SCT Xcal)that your Tuner uses. Long Tube headers are a Big Undertaking for your car but pay Big dividends with Forced Induction! If you ever pull the motor out of the engine bay slap a set on! And that 2.8 pulley is gonna up your boost quite a bit, I wouldn't go that aggressive at the outset!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, the last thing I need is problem with my engine. Once I've made the tuner updates and pulleys, are there any other relatively inexpensive/easy to do upgrades that any of you suggest to boost HP/Torque? Long tube headers would definitely be a big deal and are something I would look into down the road. I've owned the car since '04 and I don't forsee me selling or trading anytime in the near future. This is my 3rd mustang (I previously owned a '98 GT and an '02 GT).

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Let's do a check list.. Do you need a new..
1. Throttle Body-NO
2. Bigger MAF Meter-NO
3. Cams-NO
4. Head Work-NO
5. UD Pullies-NO stock size best for Forced Induction
6. Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel-YES but not til a clutch change
7. Gear-NO
8. Steggy Stage IV Ported Eaton and Throttle Plenum-HELL YES!!:bigthumbsup
9. Fuel System Upgrades-Not til you pushing over 600HP, but a BAP would be a wise idea!
10. JLT RAI-HELL YES(Leave the heat shield OFF!) :bigthumbsup
Nice advice if I do say so myself~~:wavey

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Oh Yeah GET rid of that Heavy power robbing 4 Cat Midpipe and throw on an Off Road H or X, that's the FIRST thing I did to every Stang I've owned!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks bud! I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much does that Steggy Stage IV Ported Eaton and Throttle Plenum cost? I looked up some info online and can't seem to find prices but it looks like 60 RWHP are attainable with that bad boy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Let's do a check list.. Do you need a new..
1. Throttle Body-NO
2. Bigger MAF Meter-NO
3. Cams-NO
4. Head Work-NO
5. UD Pullies-NO stock size best for Forced Induction
6. Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel-YES but not til a clutch change
7. Gear-NO
8. Steggy Stage IV Ported Eaton and Throttle Plenum-HELL YES!!:bigthumbsup
9. Fuel System Upgrades-Not til you pushing over 600HP, but a BAP would be a wise idea!
10. JLT RAI-HELL YES(Leave the heat shield OFF!) :bigthumbsup
Nice advice if I do say so myself~~:wavey
Thats 600 (flywheel) HP [and I would be very careful at that level].. not rwhp - :gringreen Brutal, how much have you done so far? You like the JLT the best?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
As far as bang for the buck, why not get some lower rear gears? 3:73 or 4:10s will put the smile on your face...with that six speed it's no sacrifice on top end performance...copy me on getting a SCT chip and tune, it's state of the art

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

Thats 600 (flywheel) HP [and I would be very careful at that level].. not rwhp - :gringreen Brutal, how much have you done so far? You like the JLT the best?
The mods to my 99 Cobra are in the Sig!
To answer your question about the JLT.. RAI not CAI!
This monday I'm doing dyno run comparisons of a couple MAF meters and intake setups (before the throttle body, JLT RAI will be one) I'm also gonna do a pull with a K&N in the stock air box, I'm the most curious about running the JLT with the 90MM Lightning MAF!
Hey welcome to the site fellow Floridian, here's my NA motor on a pull at 1000 miles after the Forged Rebuild..
I shut it down at just over 6K in this run, monday I'll spin to 6700!
And I'll get you prices on the Steggy Port bro..

SVT Cobra Dyno B Video by *Brutal Metal* - MySpace Video

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You think I should trade in my Steeda Cold Air for the JLT RAI? I love the look of the Steeda and I picked up some nice HP numbers after installation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm also thinking of upgrading my exhaust with the Borla Stingers but I need to install an X-pipe before I redo the mufflers.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
[email protected]

email dynobob for price quotes, he usually emails you back pretty quick or just call. I think the stage IV alone was $495, if you send a money order you take $25 bucks off. If you get the port, i would get your TB and plenum done too or buy an aftermarket one.
Gears, i would probably go 3.73 max for these cars. The off the line torque the SC produces is already crazy.
The JLT RAI is what I bought when I got my car, IMO it's the best also.
Oh and i remember when that episode first aired, it was awesome.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
WHY? There's Steggy Ported Eatons with 75 shots of NOS putting down 650 RWHP with 775 Torque!! And the cost difference switching to a High boost KB would be BIG!
And SVT03 DAL, do you have a pic of your engine compartment?
I wanna see how your CAI is set up, at the very least I'd try an S&B long neck open end filter with MAF adapter, but for the $50 extra for the JLT RAI you get the straight shot piping pieces from the MAF to TB which definitely helps over the crimped stocker!
And also why the $$$ Borlas? Just throw on an aluminized Mac O/R H!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm in MA so the O/R H wouldn't pass emissions, they're pretty strict up here. I found a pic that shows the Steeda set-up (not of my car but it looks just like this)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.