Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched through the threads and didn't see one like this, so here it is: I've got a 2003 Convertible and water has been collecting in the vinyl tray that holds the top when it's folded down. There is a distinct line of water coming down on both sides, so tracing the leak was easy enough. Appears to be coming from where the top (from each side) overlaps the section of top just under the rear window. As water runs down the rear window and collects at the bottom, it runs either way until it hits this overlap and then seems to run under this flap and into the car. Has anyone had this problem, and how did you fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I'm not an expert of soft tops, but this sounds like its is a piece aof weather stripping that may be worn out, or pushed out of place, the convertibles I've worked on, especially when taking out the rear trim and seats to do audio work, etc., had issues with this, it can be a pin to get it in right, but it usually fixes the problem. Some weather stripping adhesive will keep it there, but be careful, that adhesive is messy as hell and will stick to almost anything you don't want it to. If the top isn't ripped or have a whole, it is most likely the weather stripping, its a pita to do, but not difficult or expensive, just time consuming.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Racin. I eventually found another post that described exactly what I've got. Seems a small hole forms on either side of the back window from the top going up and down. When it finally stops raining (I'm in Orlando-its rained 20 inches in the last 3 days!) I'll see if I can fix it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had the same problem last year. I went to Advance Auto and bought a can of " The rite stuff" by Permatex. Its in a black can. I put a bead on both sides and in the bottom corners and waited about 2 minutes and pressed it firmly together, but it make a mess on your hands so wash them ASAP or it will take for ever to get off. Let it sit for 24 hours and take a razor and trim it out. mine has never leaked another drop.
Good Luck :bigthumbsup

Jimmy B..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.