Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to convert to a t-lok rear end. My options are to change my 7.5" to a t-lok, I assume that will be the easiest, or swap the 7.5" with a GT 8.8". Need some opinions on what would be best thing to do here.

Also, what markings are on the 8.8" that I can check to make sure what gearing it has? I want to make sure a junk yard doesn't rip me off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
T-lok

I have a 7.5" ford racing t-lok and also had 4.10s put in at the same time. Are you doing gears also? And also, how many mods will the engine have?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any engine mods yet, just got the car in August. I am working on suspension and next plans are to address rear end. I think I want to change to 3.73s unless 4.10s still provide good gas mileage. This is a daily and don't want to compromise too much the the 20 mpg I get now.

Definately want the t-lok but, don't know whether swapping rear ends is the best way to go. Still weighing options.

Just got a quote for a GT rear end for $750. WOW!!! Maybe changing to t-lok for my 7.5" rear end is the way to go. Any comments guys?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I don't have any engine mods yet, just got the car in August. I am working on suspension and next plans are to address rear end. I think I want to change to 3.73s unless 4.10s still provide good gas mileage. This is a daily and don't want to compromise too much the the 20 mpg I get now.

Definately want the t-lok but, don't know whether swapping rear ends is the best way to go. Still weighing options.

Just got a quote for a GT rear end for $750. WOW!!! Maybe changing to t-lok for my 7.5" rear end is the way to go. Any comments guys?

Thanks.
What is your overally HP goal.
Ford Racing T-lok good to 300 bhp $190
Detroit Truetrac T-lok good to 400 rwhp $430
8.8 inch GT rear end good to higher than 400 rwhp not exactly sure how much $750

How much power you plan to make affects the choice.

·
Registered
667 Posts
An 8.8" rear end is only useful if you plan on racing your car at every stoplight, every stop sign, at the strip, basically everywhere where lots and lots of hard launches could destroy a 7.5" diff and twist the axles.

If you plan on making BIG power, then do the rear end swap but if you're not going towards that route then just do the T-lok swap and gears at the same time.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Looking to convert to a t-lok rear end. My options are to change my 7.5" to a t-lok, I assume that will be the easiest, or swap the 7.5" with a GT 8.8". Need some opinions on what would be best thing to do here.

Also, what markings are on the 8.8" that I can check to make sure what gearing it has? I want to make sure a junk yard doesn't rip me off.

Thanks.

Is it auto or stick?

·
Registered
202 Posts
yeah bro if your not planning on dumbing like 10,000 worth of parts in your car lol then dont worry about changing to 8.8 its more for guys like Gt eater with 700 hp. You could throw a procharger on and make 355 hp and whoop some V8's without changing to an 8.8

·
Registered
667 Posts
Anything that has forced induction should use an 8.8" axle........
you trying to tell me something shiner? :headscratch: I think my 7.5 will be alright. If i ever end up destroying my rear end, then I'll put in an 8.8 but until then I'll be laying it down hard! :D

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
When guys go with forced induction, most go over 350hp, so they should get an 8.8". The 7.5" rears and trannys get very "iffy" after that.

3.9's were used from the trucks when the 3.8's were all used up due to the new S197 platform coming the next year.
the 3.9's are essentially the same motor right? The 04's just had a different ECM in them.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
When guys go with forced induction, most go over 350hp, so they should get an 8.8". The 7.5" rears and trannys get very "iffy" after that.
The number GT-Eater gave me was 400 rwhp for a girdled Detroit truetrac; but then again that is its upper limit and if you plan on getting close to that then a 8.8" would be smart.

But the tranny can be modifed to handle more than 400 rwhp w/o swapping I just cant remember what you have to do?:headscratch:

·
Registered
789 Posts
The number GT-Eater gave me was 400 rwhp for a girdled Detroit truetrac; but then again that is its upper limit and if you plan on getting close to that then a 8.8" would be smart.

But the tranny can be modifed to handle more than 400 rwhp w/o swapping I just cant remember what you have to do?:headscratch:
The Detroit Tru Trac can take a beating especially when used with a T/A girdle , the axles are the the same from the GT to the V6 as long as you stay in the same year , both are 28 spline stock .

·
Registered
581 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.