Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have painted the hood stripes on my 2003 Mach 1 rather than re-applying the vinyl. I also wanted to add a custom look to the car so I created a slight variation on the original Mach 1 Hood Emblem/Decal.

I used Satin Black Matthews Acrylic Polyurethane paint, and topped it with 2 coats of Gloss Clear also by Matthews. These are Sign Industry paints, made by PPG. I am a sign painter, and this product last for years in the Florida sun, so I know it is durable and safe for use on my car.

The end results are gorgeous, I almost didn't go with the gloss clear, as the original decal has a matte finish. I am so happy that I did use the gloss because now the hood looks amazing! Of course I am biased in my opinion, afterall, I did it.

I was originally worried that being a L.E. vehicle that it would hurt the resell value, but I actually have no intentions of ever reselling this car. I have also owned a 2001 GT, and even though there is just a slight upgrade to the car in terms of engine and parts, I can tell the difference in power and handling from a stock SN95 GT. Has anyone else ever painted their own hoods/decals on their 'stangs?

I am so happy about the way it turned out!

before...
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q95/steevk/My pix/IMG_0310.jpg

after...
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q95/steevk/My pix/IMG_0413.jpg

So what do you guys here think? Better? Worse?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
That looks sweet!

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Looks pretty good. With the matte black accents of the Mach 1, I would have probably kept it matte. It still looks a bit too shiny for me. But that's just just personal opinion.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx. The thing is that you really don't see any 2 pieces of the trim at the same time. And it was matte for a day as the black paint dried/cured. That is what really made me use the gloss in the end, it looked unfinished with the satin black on it only....

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Looks pretty darn good I like it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Nice work! Looks very good,

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice work. Take that talent and apply it to other Stangs to make yourself some serious bread so you can purchase lots of mods for your Stang :bigthumbsup.

I was thinking of getting reflective black racing stripes applied to my gold 2000 GT. I want them to go from the bottom of the front bumper up and over the roof to the bottom of the rear bumper.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Looks really good, but what I would do next is the spoiler and rocker panel stripes to match.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I like the paint. It has a nice shine on it. Looks like a good move. :coolest

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Looks really good, but what I would do next is the spoiler and rocker panel stripes to match.
Yeah, I think if they all matched it would be sweet. Matte on most, but gloss on the hood makes it look out of place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts