Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I dont mean to beat a dead horse, but I am having trouble finding the 'right tire' and was wondering if anybody had some input. I have read plenty of threads on the topic and only end up seeing a tug of war between a few brands or technical info that goes a bit above my head.
I have been trying to find new tires that can perform when needed in dry weather, not play slip&slide in the rain (i dont often take her out in the rain, but sometimes it catches me by surprise), and that can last more than just a few thousand miles. I am not too concerned about road noise to be honest.
I cant help but wonder how good the tires that came with the car OE were? I never got to drive the car with origonal tires but i would imagine that Ford would have gone out of their way to find tires that can handle most seasons but still have some stick. they are a bit more pricey than i had expected for OE, found them here:

Goodyear Eagle ZR Gatorback

I find it odd that Goodyear's website says that there are only two tires they have that fit my car and that the one above is not one of them. If Goodyear is what Ford decided was the best should i stay with them? or were they the best with the lowest bulk price?

Goodyear Tires | Find The Right Tire | By Vehicle | Results

Lots of people have said go Nitto, but their website says they dont make a tire that fits my car.
size: 245/45 R17

Has anybody found a tire for the Mach 1 (i suppose GT and Cobra would be about the same) that lasts a decent number of miles, has good grip in the summer, wont leave me stranded in the rain, and will never see snow?
Not sure if it matters, but i do plan to have them nitro filled.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I like Kuhmos and BFG G-Sports, 255/45/17 on your stock rims..

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I used to have an 01 cobra, when it was time to replace the stock tires I went to BFGoodrich g-force tires. I was happy with their performance.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I like the BFG's for daily driving. Don't get the Gatorbacks, they're probably the worst tire on the face of the earth....... well, except for Sumitomos.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will look into the Kumohs and BFG though i prefer to stay with correct tire sizes, as stated before, nitto claims they dont make any tire that fits my car, and every single tire shop i have gone to has told me that they are just a down right cheap tire. I kinda expected the gatorbacks to be junk, but got some really good reviews.
theres too many options :weeps

·
Registered
7,401 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any thoughts on bridgestone and firestone? I was told that the firestone firehawk wide oval indy 500 is popular on mustangs by the guy at tires plus, and was suggested bridgestone potenza re 960AS or bridgestone re-11. their website suggested bridgestone potenza s-04 pole position.
not sure how most ppl feel about them. doing research showed that bridgestone owns firestone, and i know a lot of people were left with a bitter taste in their mouth with the side wall blow out issues, but most of the reviews seem good and the prices are not bad at all.

ps thanks for the input

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have coopers and I am very impressed by their performance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts