Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 v6 mustang, with the mach 460 sound system, removed, and a complete aftermarket sony system, with a 2000watt power acustic amp, running 2 jbl 12's on a sealed box and a 1 farad cap. the stereo was installed on the original alternator,, which worked fine for the first year, then started having the battery light flash intermittantely, so I replaced the old Alternator with a 130amp alternator. Problem solved, until 2 weeks ago the lights started to slightly dimm with the bass hits. Which is getting progressivly worse, I have read the threads about the 4 gauge battery cables and I am considering that upgrade, But my questions is my hot wire connections on this system, my amp B+ wire goes to the B+ stud on the junction block under the hood (worked fine in all my chevy cars and my Mercury Sable) then it runs from there directly to the capacitor, and my ground goes from my capacitor to the chassis ground in the trunk, the amp is connected to the capacitor as well. Voltage gauge is in the normal range and no visible changes. Any suggestions, besides changing the Battery wires to 4 gauge or 0 gauge, wire?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Deep cycle battery and or bigger alt.

Upgrade wire from alt to battery/dist block

·
Registered
33 Posts
since you have a 2000 watt amp you should get a 2 farad cap. For every 1 farad powers a 1000 watts. I have the same setup as you i just have different name brands. I dont have any dimming problems at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok sounds good, i got a 2 farad amp on the way, i did move my amp b+ wire to come directly off the b+ side of the battery and not the distribution block that has helps some, but I guess time will tell when the new cap gets here. did you upgrade your alternator and battery cables if so where did you find them at, everything I have looked at is way too long, I could make my own i guess, but id rather not unless i have too. thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where can you find the wire upgrade, the ones i have found will work from the dis. block to the starter but are way too long from the dis to the battery and alt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts