Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took my baby out for a drive as usual:shigrin i hit about 55mph its starts vibrating. i think its the rear end but im not sure any solutions or suggestions are greatly appreciated this is so heart breaking

·
Registered
91 Posts
Need a little more info, when your going 55 if you press on clutch or put into neutral does the vibration go away? Does it vibrate under power or at cruise? There could be several different problems, tires, u-joints, pinion bearing, drive shaft.

·
Registered
231 Posts
just get your tires rebalanced before you start looking TO deep into things..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it vibrates in neutral my friend said it could be the drive shaft balancing weight and i have a manual

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Highly unlikely to be the shaft. They don't usually just start being unbalanced one day out of nowhere.

First thing you should check is that the tires are balanced. Inspect the rear shocks as well (look for evidence that the internal seal is blown, meaning oil or oily residue on the lower half of the shock), and also suspect bad U-joint(s).

Issues like this are almost always attributable to wearing parts. The driveshaft is not considered a "wearing part". Unless when you get under there you see obvious damage or irregularity to the driveshaft, I wouldn't even consider it as a possibility. Those balancing weights don't just come off unintentionally.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help guys :shiny:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got it fixed. :bounce2: if anybody has the same problem just make sure your driveshaft bolts to the rear end are tight. they like working loose.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
^ Probably not a bad idea to install those flange bolts with a little bit of Loctite on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts