Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've decided i wanna change my clutch and flywheel, what clutch brand would you suggest for me? Spec, Ram, Fidanza, or Centerforce? BTW I'm going for stage 3 clutch, and a steel flywheel.

Flywheel would be from the same brand. However, I was wondering how many bolts do I have on my crank 8 or 6 bolts?

Car is: Mustang, GT, 2003, TR-3650 Manual Trans.

Thanks a bunch, :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Unless your car is strictly racing, I would recommend against a stage 3 clutch. What's your aim with your car?

·
Registered
390 Posts
GT's came witha 6 bolt crank. Cobras got the 8. Also the stage 3 is going to be very hard on your drivetrain. I would recommend a stage 1 or 2 depending on your plans for the car. If you are looking at going F/I I would go with the 03/04 Cobra clutch. It's good for 500+TQ and isnt very hard on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
If mild mods, the spec stage 1, if you plan on FI, then spec stage 2. More than likely it's the 6 bolt, though there were a few GT's with an 8 bolt. I've only seen one but Ford will tell you it never happened.

S

·
0 Posts
I can only attest to my experience with the stock clutch and the Spec Stage II I replaced it with. Great clutch... not to much pedal.

I know Fidanza makes quality units as well but I only have experience with the Spec Stage II.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless your car is strictly racing, I would recommend against a stage 3 clutch. What's your aim with your car?

I dont know how to exactly answer this question, but it's definitely NOT strictly for racing,, I want to be as powerful as a street-legal-daily-driven-and-sometimes-racing stang can get (didnt think i could finish that sentence lol)

thx

GT's came witha 6 bolt crank. Cobras got the 8. Also the stage 3 is going to be very hard on your drivetrain. I would recommend a stage 1 or 2 depending on your plans for the car. If you are looking at going F/I I would go with the 03/04 Cobra clutch. It's good for 500+TQ and isnt very hard on the drivetrain.
What about stage 2+ ?

I currently don't have any plans for F/I'ing my stang but it's a possibility in the future.

thanks

If mild mods, the spec stage 1, if you plan on FI, then spec stage 2. More than likely it's the 6 bolt, though there were a few GT's with an 8 bolt. I've only seen one but Ford will tell you it never happened.
What do you mean by mild mods? plan is (LT Headers, Aftermarket mid-pipe, cat-back, Throttle body, CAI, Gears, Pulleys and other stuff)

thx!

I can only attest to my experience with the stock clutch and the Spec Stage II I replaced it with. Great clutch... not to much pedal.

I know Fidanza makes quality units as well but I only have experience with the Spec Stage II.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Stage 3 is not a street clutch, if you use it for the street it won't last and will be very rough. Everybody seems to go for the strongest clutch in the world and its a bad way to choose. The 3 I would recommend are first Mcleod (they are awesome but pricey), spec stage 1 (maybe 2 if you have a lot more than stock power), or even the super king cobra. They all do a good job on the street and have a lot of holding power. Mcleod makes the best clutches I've seen, but they are not cheap. For the flywheel I would go aluminum, the friction surface is still steel so it lasts just as long and works great, I've been running one on the street/strip for about 2 years, about 20k miles.

Regardless of maker, a stage 3 clutch is going to engage very rough, its more like an on/off switch than a clutch, and its not made for the street, it will be hard to drive and won't last, they're made for high rpm launches, not regular driving.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
the mods you listed are mild for me, i think you can get away with a stock replacement or the spec stage 1. If you want FI later on, you can go with the spec stage 2. There are even Terminator owners that got the spec stage 3 and 3+ and they hated it. Chattered super bad. With my mods, i'm going with a spec stage 2+ and i plan on a whipple at the end of the year.

My 97 saleen was on the stock clutch that worked great with 291rwhp and 366rwtq. My Cobra did fine untill i put the ported Eaton on there and now it slips bad if i hit 5psi of boost.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd say go with a stage 1 or 2. I have a spec stage 1 in mine and i love it. realize also the a higher stage clutch is less forgiving on the drivetrain.

I humbly recommend spec stage 1.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stage 3 is not a street clutch, if you use it for the street it won't last and will be very rough. Everybody seems to go for the strongest clutch in the world and its a bad way to choose. The 3 I would recommend are first Mcleod (they are awesome but pricey), spec stage 1 (maybe 2 if you have a lot more than stock power), or even the super king cobra. They all do a good job on the street and have a lot of holding power. Mcleod makes the best clutches I've seen, but they are not cheap. For the flywheel I would go aluminum, the friction surface is still steel so it lasts just as long and works great, I've been running one on the street/strip for about 2 years, about 20k miles.

Regardless of maker, a stage 3 clutch is going to engage very rough, its more like an on/off switch than a clutch, and its not made for the street, it will be hard to drive and won't last, they're made for high rpm launches, not regular driving.
Very informative, thanks from the bottom of my heart.
The guy who suggested stage 3 to me was trying to rip me off :anianger:

the mods you listed are mild for me, i think you can get away with a stock replacement or the spec stage 1. If you want FI later on, you can go with the spec stage 2. There are even Terminator owners that got the spec stage 3 and 3+ and they hated it. Chattered super bad. With my mods, i'm going with a spec stage 2+ and i plan on a whipple at the end of the year.

My 97 saleen was on the stock clutch that worked great with 291rwhp and 366rwtq. My Cobra did fine untill i put the ported Eaton on there and now it slips bad if i hit 5psi of boost.
thats good 2 know about stock clutches :gringreen

goodluck with your new clutch

Thanks a lot,,

I'd say go with a stage 1 or 2. I have a spec stage 1 in mine and i love it. realize also the a higher stage clutch is less forgiving on the drivetrain.

I humbly recommend spec stage 1.
I will probably go with stage 2, thx :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you can find a Fidanza, I hear a lot of good things. I had Ram HDX before and I liked it. The pedal was a little stiffer then stock , but it grip very good.
I believe that spec has to go with the Spec flywheel. Hard choice.
I just yesterday found out that the company that distributing the TR3650 out of TN came out with a
some great clutches but I have not driven one..

Hi guys,
I've decided i wanna change my clutch and flywheel, what clutch brand would you suggest for me? Spec, Ram, Fidanza, or Centerforce? BTW I'm going for stage 3 clutch, and a steel flywheel.

Flywheel would be from the same brand. However, I was wondering how many bolts do I have on my crank 8 or 6 bolts?

Car is: Mustang, GT, 2003, TR-3650 Manual Trans.

Thanks a bunch, :)
Oh, here is the link for American Powertrain Clutch kit

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
The guy who suggested stage 3 was more likely ignorant. The stage 3 is more expensive, but the markup usually isn't that much more. Clutches and carburetors are the most misunderstood components in a car. Bigger is not better. A stage 3 on the street is like using a 1050 dominator on a 302. In both cases, unless you're using a 500 shot of nitrous and race only, its a waste of money. You can crop using big injectors on a small power motor with that too. And to me anything under 400hp is small power, its not that hard to make and doesn't require as much as most seem to think.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Bumping a 2 year old thread?

I hope he's got a clutch in the car by now..........:laugh:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am breaking in a great clutch. It feels sooo good. I had to try this company called KY Clutch. I got the Dual Friction $190 shipped to the shop next day delivery.
Very impressed with both, the product and he service!
Soft pedal, I'd say a little softer then stock but after about 180 miles on it and taking it very very easy, I can feel the grip.
Clutch Kits, Clutch Repair, and Clutch Service

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys

I ended up getting a Spec stage 1 clutch and a steel flywheel. Almost 2 years now and it they have been nothing but good. The Spec pilot bearing failed lately though and the Spec throw-out bearing was making a tiny squeal

·
Registered
141 Posts
Only Ford TOB or Pilot. The heavy duty Ford Racing is all over the place.. Up to about $60 ..

thanks guys

I ended up getting a Spec stage 1 clutch and a steel flywheel. Almost 2 years now and it they have been nothing but good. The Spec pilot bearing failed lately though and the Spec throw-out bearing was making a tiny squeal

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only Ford TOB or Pilot. The heavy duty Ford Racing is all over the place.. Up to about $60 ..
Yeah, I was dumb enough to skip this info when I was doing my research and now I paid the price :< .

I really wanted the Ford Racing HD TOB though but it would require weeks to arrive from the US. therefore I went with a stock Ford replacement for about $43 and a factory pilot bearing for about $13 . so far so good :bigthumbsup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts