Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the front passenger side and now i've noticed that the car isn't acting right at all. I'm suspecting that a grounding wire may be the culprit. But which one, I'm not sure. It's sporadic, but some of the symbols on the dash are flickering (anti-slip sign, rear window defroster) and the radio goes dead. The car shudders briefly also while all this is happening. I'm going to call an auto shop on Monday but any other advise is more than welcome!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Comp

on the front passenger side and now i've noticed that the car isn't acting right at all. I'm suspecting that a grounding wire may be the culprit. But which one, I'm not sure. It's sporadic, but some of the symbols on the dash are flickering (anti-slip sign, rear window defroster) and the radio goes dead. The car shudders briefly also while all this is happening. I'm going to call an auto shop on Monday but any other advise is more than welcome!
Check your battery - if it wasn't securely fastened down, it might have pulled loose (particularly the grounds).

Check your computer (located on the passenger side) to see if it got popped loose or its ground is messed up. Check where the wiring harness leaves the interior of the car and enters the engine bay - you might have pinched it.

Next, check your fuse boxes to make sure they are still securely fastened to the car, and their grounds are good.

A good auto electric guy can probably find the gremlin, but it might be almost anywhere (just gave you the high points).

Sounds like you hit hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

for the reply :shiny:. Do you happen to know which computer on the passenger side I should be looking for? The repair guy wondered the same thing.

I had the car at the shop for 2 days and they ran the car on 3 separate occasions with a scanner hooked up to the engine and the car didn't act up at all. They drove it for probably 10-20 minutes. I even requested that they have a passenger ride in the seat which they did. And still the car didn't act up. Maybe I will get lucky enough that the car won't act up anymore.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
for the reply :shiny:. Do you happen to know which computer on the passenger side I should be looking for? The repair guy wondered the same thing.

I had the car at the shop for 2 days and they ran the car on 3 separate occasions with a scanner hooked up to the engine and the car didn't act up at all. They drove it for probably 10-20 minutes. I even requested that they have a passenger ride in the seat which they did. And still the car didn't act up. Maybe I will get lucky enough that the car won't act up anymore.
PCM (powertrain control module). Any modern mechanic unfamiliar with it should be avoided (be afraid, be very afraid).

Its possible the loose connection/ground/gremlin has been appeased, but that would require luck superior to my own!

Best of luck with it - if the problems return, let us know how it turns out.

G

·
Like Trip said, start with the easy stuff. Your problem might have resolved itself but just in case it hasn't try this.

My Jeep Wrangler has very bad terminal connections to the battery. I need to replace them as they are quite corroded but I haven't yet. Over time you can get an invisible glazing on the battery posts that will kill a solid conncection to the battery. This happened in my Jeep and before it got to the point of not starting at all, all the dash lights would come on and the gauges would go crazy. That kind of sounds like what happened to you.

Loosen the cables and disconnect them from the battery. If you don't have one already, got the auto parts store and get a cheap battery post cleaner. They usually have a little brush on one end and a bristly socket shape on the other that you can place over the posts and clean them. Clean the cable terminals and tighten them back on. Ensuring you have a good tight connection is critical to help avoid that glazing.

More than likely, whether it was at the battery or not, you just jostled something loose with the pothole. I doubt it would be anything serious but you never know.

Let us know how she's been driving when you get a chance.

Cheers,

Snack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update...with major success! (i hope)

so i call the repair guy back before picking up the car since they couldn't find the problem. i ask the guy to indulge me here for a minute and to please check the things that tripleblack had suggested. so the repair guy said that he would check into it...reluctantly. so about an hour later i get to the shop, and the repair guy hadn't even checked out those things yet. they must of either been really busy or he is forgetful (i'm thinking the second one). so he goes rushing out to my car and pops the hood. sure enough he comes back and says that he noticed a loose wire connection on the battery and had it tightened. now here's the clincher, he says that he noticed there wasn't a hold down bar for the battery. this to me probably explains a lot of things. i came to the conclusion that from hitting the pothole, the battery lifted up which caused one of the wires to come loose.

now i'm pretty sure at this point, the repair guy felt really...how should i say...stupid for not checking these things to begin with when i brought my car in.

the repair guy had asked where i had got my info from, and i said from another person online who had made the suggestions. a different repair guy in the background was like "damn!". :bigthumbsup

well i'm going to take the car for a spin and see if she is ok (i'll report back later). the repair guy is ordering me a battery hold down bar which i'll get installed on friday or saturday. :wavey

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Hold Down

Yep, I AM psychic, all seeing, and the mechanic's middle name is...

William.

Or maybe Bertha.

Darn, my crystal ball just got all full of static, must be sun spots!

LOL, I HOPE that was the cause of the whole thing!

And anyone else reading this thread who doesn't have their battery secured...

Drive slow and avoid pot holes!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Glad you got her fixed! As another 2003 vert owner I feel your pain and I hope she didn't suffer too much:wavey

If the hole was big enough, I would also check the rim/tire and take a peek under the car looking for damage like scraped or bent parts.

Does the car track straight?
Any wobbles or shimmying at high speed?

Hopefully and probably she is fine but if not, get it looked at before it gets worse.

As for electrical problems you got excellent advice from the group!
IMHO mechanics WRT electrical problems come in 2 varieties.
Those that have no clue where to begin and those that are experts at it.
For some reason there doesn't seem to be a midpoint.

When you find an expert, he is as good as gold and chances are he is going to be booked solid with clients because word gets around fast.

Glad you got it fixed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I took the car for a spin and she hasn't had any problems since. So I think the loose wire connection was the whole problem thank goodness. (could have been worse).

Anyways, steve stang, I did check the rim and tire and it seems to be ok.

on another note for tripleblack, it's rather ironic that my car is tripleblack as well. hmmmm....maybe you are psychic *squints eyes, raises brow* lol

Take care guys. again, thanks for the help. You guys probably saved me a bundle of cash.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
edit: to late... didnt read it all, happy you got it fixed and i was gonna say check for codes lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.