Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I needed, so I solicit everyone's help.

While the GT was put up for the winter, I decided to solve the pesky problem I've been having that the car didn't have a visible cluster at night. Mainly, the lights weren't working properly. It had this issue when I bought it (From my Uncle) and so I let it slide. When I say they aren't working properly, I mean that I can tell there is light there when I remove the cluster, but it isn't getting through the face.

The car has an aftermarket white face cluster on it. So my first trial and error was to replace that with a newer one. When I took the first overlay off I noticed that the basic gauges did light up, but they where weak to say the least. So I decided to put the new overlay on anyway just to test, and go figure it didn't shine through.

So I suspected the gauge clusters lights were a little weak, and should be replaced. But while I was thinking about it, I had the car on and reached for the radio. To my avail I had forgotten that there was a small issue with the radio lighting too. The "Rewind/Fast Forward" button flickered while driving. And since my V6 has a aftermarket radio its hard to tell if the whole radio cluster in the GT is lighter than its supposed to be either be comparison.

So I'm thinking its one of two issues and could use some input on how to determine and fix.

1) There is a fuse or relay somewhere that is weak or has gone bad that needs to be replaced.

2) The Lights in the back of the gauge need to be replaced (And I have no clue how to do that)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
430 Posts
im not sure how to help diagnose this problem, but if you want to replace the lights in the cluster, its not that hard at all. you take the cluster out, then basically unscrew the back cover and you will be able to see the lights where they connect to the circuit board. you need to press the two little prongs in (a needlenose is best) then twist it to get the bulb out. I think it has something to do with the dimmer or something along those lines if I were to guess. Try getting a new headlight switch from autozone or something along those lines, swap it out, and see if it makes a difference. If not, return it. You change the headlight switch by taking off the cover that goes over the cluster and headlight switch and unscrew the 2 bolts holding the headlight switch in place, unplug it, unscrew the little white round thing to be able to swap the actual metal rod that controls the switch, then just reconnect. Try that first to see if it makes a difference. I've read when I had a similar problem that the rheostat in the switch sometimes goes bad and could result in the dimmer not working properly. Good Luck.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update in case any one else encounters this issue down the road. While doing a little browsing I managed to stumble onto this guy. He replaced the stock lights with LED's which are naturally brighter. I'm going to try this in the next few weeks. If it turns out to be a power supply issue, I'll of course be notably pissed off. But thats something that a secondary power supply could fix.

How to Install LED lights in your Mustang Gauge Cluster

1 - 3 of 3 Posts