Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2003 Mustang GT yesterday and I've already found myself eager for a new exhaust, mainly for the sound. Performance is definitely a positive, but for the money I have now a muffler (which brand/series?) will probably be more practical as opposed to the entire exhaust kit. Also something informative about the basic upgrades that most people use would be helpful I.E. explanations on heads, pullies, springs/coilovers, and whatever else seems relevant.

As you can see I'm really new to the scene, being 18 and in the suburbs I don't really have any experience with engines, but the stuff really interests me so thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
386 Posts
There are a few quick bolt ons that you can do to get good performance out of your Mustang. There are cold air intakes, Throttle body and plenum, under drive pullies. These are the basic bolt ons. As for exhaust you can do a wide variety and it all depends on you. You can get a mid pipe in the form of an H or X pipe. The mid pipes come in offroad(no cats so will not pass smog) and catted form this so you can pass emission if needed. Or you can get a new cat back system. If you are looking for something loud then I recommend the SLP loudmouths but they are extremely and again it all depends on you. Magnaflow and flowmaster sound great and are not as loud but still give you a great sound.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soo for now im just going to focus on the exhaust, would you recommend borla, flowmaster, magnaflow, etc. and is there any performance difference between H and X pipes im gonna go with catbacks for sure, and finally can i start with the muffler for say $80 for the good sound and then move to the full on kit later without having to buy a new muffler? thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would go with magna flow just because my brother has a 2004 Mustang GT and he is using magna flow and they sound great. There is no real performance gains from the X or the H. The only difference is sound. Yeah you can do the muffler idea it will work just fine. There are a lot of mustang exhaust clips on youtube. I would check them out to see which one you would like.:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
check youtube for exhaust sound clips...there are a gazillion opinions since tastes vary so much on sound...
Best mod for the buck is subframe connectors. Get the weld ins from Maximum Motorsports

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.