Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am still pretty new to this forum, so if I am doing something wrong please let me know.
Anyway, I bought a 2003 Mustang GT back in January, it's all stock with only 43,000 miles on it. Every now and then it just stalls and won't start right away, I have to wait about 5 - 10 mins, never really timed it. I took it back to CarMax where I bought it, they could not find anything wrong, there were no computer codes as the Check Engine Light did not come on, and of course it didn't do it for them. They kept it a few days and drove it around and it didn't do it. It has only done it to me maybe 4 times, but it is very aggrevating. It has just stalled just driving down the road at like 40 mph, thank goodness I was able to get to the shoulder. I was wandering if anyone else has experienced something similiar with there 2003 Mustang GT? I have looked at other postings on the web, and it seems maybe the ignition module is going?

Thanks Everyone for your replies in Advance, I love my Mustang, I just don't want it to stall while I am driving anymore.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
That sounds like you might just have a dirty mass airflow sensor. Or, worst case, a failing MAF sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, could I clean that myself you think? Is it easy to get to, any links or info on that would be greatly appeciated it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had that problem as well with my 04 Mach 1 after I installed a K&N FIPK. It would run rough at constant RPM and stall out when I put in the clutch. I bought a new IAC, TPS and MAF. All with no avail. I then followed a hunch and took my MAF, Heatsheild and Filter assy off, retapped some holes in the heat sheild and turned my MAF 90 Degrees outwards. All my problems solved. I still from time to time have a bouncing idle issue. I know its from the heatsheild throwing off airflow to the MAF sensors. Sometimes you just gotta get turn the MAF so its in the direct flow of air. But, first off try getting some canned air for cleaning computers(about 3-4 $ at walmart) and blow out the little sensors on your MAF. If that doesn't work try taking your IAC(behind the throttle body) and clean it out with carb cleaner; trying to get the carbon out. Also, try opening up the butterfly valves on your Throttle Body and cleaning out around the edegs where the rest in the closed position. Thats about all I can suggest, don't do like I did. I kneejerked and tried expensive stuff first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 01 GT and had the same problem. Take it to a ford dealership and have them run a fuel pressure test thats what mine was. If it is below 28 or above 42 psi thats whats wrong you'll need a pump. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with ClayXmach1 on cleaning a few things. Just make sure you don't spray any cleaner (carb,brake) into the throttle body. You could damage the sludge resistant coating thats inside, possibly creating a new problem later on. The fuel pump could be at fault like bigwhite_4.6 said, but i'd be absolutely sure before changing that$$$. When it won't start, you should also try and listen if the fuel pump kicks in when you turn the key to acc(easy test but helpful)
How does it stall? Does it sputter out, or just quit like you turned it off.
Also, when attemping to restart, does the engine seem to rotate and just not catch, or does it start and stop immediately?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dionysus,
I haven't tried anything yet, it hasn't done it for a while. I took it out today, I live in Charlotte NC so it was hot today around 80, it seems to do it when it's hot out. It did it twice, it actually just cuts off like I turned it off (just driving going around 40 mph, not good) another time it kind of bucked a little then died. If I take the key out and then put it back in and wait a few minutes it usually starts right back up. When restarting it has just kept turning like it wouldn't catch, It usually doesn't start then stop right away though, it's very odd, and of course no check engine light or anything. I didn't listen to see if I could hear the fuel pump. I will next time. Any suggestions you might have would be great, also do you have a link to somewhere where I can see how to change the air filter and also clean the MAF. I do not want to mess anything up.

Thanks Again for your help!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bob:
I would take it to someone that has a scan tool that can perform a network test and also check all continuous codes not just the PCM. This may give you some hint as to what is happening. I suspect you may have several u codes in memory if so then that means that the network is going down for some reason, link a voltage spike that causes the computers to reboot just like your home computer in a lightning storm. If so then I would have them look at mode 6 data and see if there are any missfires that have started to show up. If so then have them do a coil stress test on the coil packs. I suspect one of them may be shorting on the primary side and causing PCM to reboot and thats is why it has no codes showing in memory.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yea i had the same problem with my mass air sensor the best thing to do is to take it to some one it cost me 319$ but thats becouse It took 5 hours to find out what was wrong becouse fords computers dont give a trouble codes for the diablo which is what i used and it is a pain when somthing like that happens. So it will probibly be less for you.
good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.