Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2003 GT about a month and a half ago. The previous owner must've had after market subs and amps installed, as I have wires hanging out in my trunk, and a "Kicker" fuse encasement under my hood, going to my fuse box. I began to notice my speakers fading in and out on sharp turns and while going over bumps. I had the idea to play with some of the wires that were hanging out in the trunk, and this fixed the problem of my audio fading in and out, for a while at least. I was on the highway the other day and the fades returned. I reached back and folded down my rear seat to get to the trunk (keep in mind I'm driving down the highway and my attention is on the road) and started moving around the wires desperately trying to get my Zeppelin III album back in tune. Once the fading stopped, I shut the back seat, and my radio turned completely off. Now I can only load/eject CDs. No AM/FM radio, no CD capability. All my fuses are working, I didn't crimp or severe any of the speaker wires, and I even disconnected the "Kicker" power wire from the battery. Still no luck. Please help!

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Dude, it died while playing ZepIII? That's such a great album man... Only thing worse would be if it died during Dark Side of the Moon or maybe Appetite For Destruction lol.

Unfortunately it sounds like you have somewhat of a wiring nightmare. Would be much easier to figure out if I were actually there looking at it, these kind of things are difficult at best to even speculate upon over the internet. It could be something as simple as a short in the wiring or maybe at worst something went wrong and let the magic blue smoke out of the factory amps. If you're not savvy with this sort of thing (if you were you probably would have already figured it out and not needed to post here) then my best suggestion would be to take it to Best Buy or any car audio shop of your choice and have them take a look.

One thing I would look at though is the rear speakers. Lay down in the trunk and inspect the wiring and connections at the speaker terminals.... Due to it having the factory pre-amp system, in order to connect an aftermarket amp for subs most times the wires are piggybacked with others that take the audio signal from there to an amp. My suspicion is there might be something going on with that. If there are any wires or devices (possibly a line level converter) spliced into those wires, remove them.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Unfortunately I'm inclined to agree with SoCal, it likely is going to be a wiring nightmare, but the Mach system has some funky details... I can't recall the specifics, but it could be something to do with the Mach amps under the deck lid, or the added wiring. Best of luck, post up more details and we can try our best to help...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts