Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i just recently bought an 03 mustang gt with 43k miles in perfect condition. im new to the whole mustang thing so i want to know your opinions on what are the best mods are to start off with.

right now the car has factory everything except the k&n air filter so its pretty quiet, which exhaust system would u go with?

also which mods should i start with as far as the engine goes?

and is it true that its best to shift around 5000 to 5200?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
79 Posts
IMO I think exhaust wise you should get Longtube headers an H or X pipe then a Catback system, as for brand look different ones up on you tube and see what sound you like better. Another good mod is a set of gears if you have a stick shift 3:73s are probably going to be your best bet but its your car not mine so its your call. Also a CAI is a good first mod option to get you started and possibly tune your car but if you plan on doing more mods you can just wait to do the tune later after all the mods.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
If your racing shift at 5000-52000 depending on who your racing and if your winning haha. I hope you didnt mean just normal driving around town, you would be wasting a ton of gas. Driving round town i ususally shift around 3000-3500. First thing i would do is exhaust (catback with a midpipe), intake with a tune, then set of gears. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Start with a CAI/tune and a set of gears (3.73 or 4.10). Maybe some UDPs. I am a fan of the Borla exhaust, but I hear good things about SLP and Magnaflow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, around town i normally shift at 3k. even with that my gas meter has seen better days lol but hey i definitely think this car is worth every cent. by tune do u mean dyno? and also i was reading up on the 4.10 gears but people where saying something like u cant do 80 on the highway...wut do they mean by that? and yea im thinking h pipes with catbacks. my friend had one with x pipes and it was a little too loud. my cousins flowmasters sound pretty nice but im definitely gunna do a little more research. im also looking into dropping it a little just for appearance

·
Registered
79 Posts
With 4:10s you can 80 on the highway what they meant was you cant do 80 and get good gas mileage if you go with 4:10s your gas mileage will suffer along with your top end speed, but your acceleration will be better than ever. Thats why myself personally like 3:73s because you get better acceleration decent gas mileage still decent top end and traction isnt as big of a deal. The higher the gears the better acceleration but worse top end and the lower the gears the worse acceleration but better top end. I know when it comes to performance flowmasters usually about one of the worse mufflers you can get but I always loved the sound of some 40 series flowmasters on 5.0s and 4.6s.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i would go with some 3:55 or 3:73 got some slp exaust cai and tuner u would have a pretty fun car to drive

·
Registered
11 Posts
i shift mine (2003 GT) 5800-6000... its all in area under the curve... your power might start going down but when the next gear hits its pretty much right on the torque peak (4k ish) where if you shift at 5k youll drop below the torque peak (robbing power and torque)... you just have to see where each gear hits

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.