Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of threads in the forums regarding the p0340 code "CamShaft Position Sensor". In the last year, Ive replaced that thing like 3 times so now Im thinking its my alternator, like most others on here.

Based on my VIN, the ford dealership said they only have on available, a re-manufactured 130 amp. The price for the part is $238.58 and labor is $139.50.

If the alternator has a faulty diode in it, would putting in remanufactured alternator end up resulting in the same problems down the road? Should I try to find a new one? Do the costs the guy quoted seem fair?

Any help would be great...Im so tired of dealin with this problem!

btw its a 2003 mustang GT.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Back in the good old days you could replace the diode pack and be done with it, now you have to replace the whole unit. If I were you I would go with an alternator from paperfomance.com. For about the same price you can get a unit with greater output, lifetime warranty and the color of your choice. Replacing the alternator is a 15 min job at most, so do it yourself or have a friend install it and save yourself $139.50

·
Registered
430 Posts
wow, funny that this is exactly the same problem that I have had the last 2 weeks. Does it struggle to start sometimes and/or wont start for a few tries? If so, or not, most likely you will need a new alternator. I just got mine replaced and now the car works like new!!!! I kid you not, it might not sound like it makes complete sense but that is the culprit. I was going to buy my alternator from advanceauto.com, then I realized they have a sale going on right now that will save you $50 on the alternator. You just need to enter the code thats all the way on the top of the page while in the shopping cart page, then it will deduct $50 from your purchase. Heres the one I ordered...
Alternator by Remy New - Part 92506 - Advance Auto Parts
Remember to put in the code thats at the top of the page and you will get a nice discount. You will have to pay a $10 core charge, but you get that back when you return or mail the old alternator to advance. I looked around and this is the best buy you can get for a simple OEM replacement if you are running stock electrical accessories. Installation is easy too if you dont need to swap out the pullies. Try this place before August 3rd so you get a good deal!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
430 Posts
PS you can bring the alternator to any shop and it will be cheaper than stupid ford dealerships...it take about 20 mins to replace....paying over $100 is a rip off......I paid $40 for a friend with an impact wrench to do it (needed to swap pullies) and would have paid $75 for Meineke to do it for me....find the cheapest auto repair shop near you or do it yourself. :winks

·
Banned
335 Posts
I'd definitley get a Ford 130 amp alternator instead of
a generic brand alternator you will find in most part stores.
I would also replace your battery with a brand new
Motorcraft battery.This should fix your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.