Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a short throw shifter in my 2003 mustang gt and it rattles when driving. the sound sometimes goes away if i lift up on the shift knob. any ideas what it caused by

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you sure it was installed right.?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Check to see if anything has became loose.?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would pull it apart and check the springs and washers. Also would be a good time to grease it , being 4 years. If it just started sounds like something has changed.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If it doesn't have a gasket you might want to put one in there also. Probably the two bolts just came loose.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Check to see if anything has became loose.?
A very good place to start.
I would pull it apart and check the springs and washers. Also would be a good time to grease it , being 4 years. If it just started sounds like something has changed.
While you're in there snugging things up, follow this suggestion as well.

If it doesn't have a gasket you might want to put one in there also. Probably the two bolts just came loose.
I know that MGW makes a gasket that comes with their shifter and also can be used with other shifters, but in my experience it is completely unnecessary. A thin bead of Permatex works well, and is reccomended per the Steeda Tri-Ax install guide.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Sounds like an adjustment. Maybe a throw limiter came loose and is contacting the handle. Remove the boot (and the dust cover if it's still there) and snap a pic so you can post it here. We can tell you exactly what to do from there...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts