Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm new to the forums and i have a 2003 v6 mustang. I've done a few mods but nothing major...mostly just interior and exterior styling and stereo system.

My front bumper is in poor condition and has lots of chips/scratches, so i'm looking at just buying a new bumper off ebay that they'll paint for you...as this will be cheaper than repairing mine. I'm curious if a 2003 cobra bumper will fit on my v6. I know some modifications might need to be made to make it fit...but what would this involve? I think it would give my front end an aggressive look so i wanted to look into it.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated...thanks!!! :shiny:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
welcome, 1AM nice. they fit your mustang. its gona be a nice price tag. theirs lots of nice mustang front bumpers that make the front look mean

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
They do fit. Ignore any of the people that will whine you are wanting to put Cobra parts on your car as well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
+1
they do fit and alot of people will say hey you cant do that its not a cobra .... well hey it may not be but that doesnt mean you cant enjoy the looks and drop some heads when you roll by :D

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
While I wouldn't be caught dead rebadging my car as something that it is not, I still feel that it is not up to the world to tell people they cannot do it. The lame argument is that people know someone that bought a misbadged car but in the end it was the error of the person buying it since they did not check it out. Same as the people that think they are cool with a V6 Cobra. Whatever floats their boat, but they will never get respect from anyone that knows anything about cars.

In the end, let them be dumbasses if they want to do it. Otherwise, there is no reason on the planet Earth to not use Cobra body parts and if you don't want to look silly just be sure to remove all Cobra badging.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, i'm new to the forums and i have a 2003 v6 mustang. I've done a few mods but nothing major...mostly just interior and exterior styling and stereo system.

My front bumper is in poor condition and has lots of chips/scratches, so i'm looking at just buying a new bumper off ebay that they'll paint for you...as this will be cheaper than repairing mine. I'm curious if a 2003 cobra bumper will fit on my v6. I know some modifications might need to be made to make it fit...but what would this involve? I think it would give my front end an aggressive look so i wanted to look into it.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated...thanks!!! :shiny:
When swapping your bumper cover, you'll have to drill out the two rivets securing your bumper to the body(under the headlights). Also, you'll have to drill out the 2 rivets on each bumper mounting bracket(behind the bumper where it meets with the fender) with a 1/8 inch drill bit and rivet them back to the new bumper cover. Dont forget to remove the 4 screws on the inner fender sides of your current bumper cover and the 4 washer nuts on the inside of the fender :bigthumbsup Good luck! Pics when finished? :gringreen

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
didnt the 99-01 have mustang engraved insted of cobra?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
When swapping your bumper cover, you'll have to drill out the two rivets securing your bumper to the body(under the headlights). Also, you'll have to drill out the 2 rivets on each bumper mounting bracket(behind the bumper where it meets with the fender) with a 1/8 inch drill bit and rivet them back to the new bumper cover. Dont forget to remove the 4 screws on the inner fender sides of your current bumper cover and the 4 washer nuts on the inside of the fender :bigthumbsup Good luck! Pics when finished? :gringreen
as for the rivets, i just drilled them out and replaced them with bolts; didnt have a rivet gun at the time :shigrin

·
Registered
57 Posts
as for the rivets, i just drilled them out and replaced them with bolts; didnt have a rivet gun at the time :shigrin
I had to drill mine out too. I didn't trust the bolts and threaded spacers idea from the company I ordered a body kit from. I was thinking of doing the nut and bolt idea since I just needed some fine threaded locking nuts, but the nearest hardware store was an hour away, so I opted to get a rivet gun with a 1/8 in. tip for $8 and a bunch of steel rivets for maybe $5 at the local swap meet :gringreen I run a local Mustang business doing body kits installs, wings, interior and exterior painting, etc. So the rivet thing ended up being ok. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't regular nuts and bolts eventually loosen from the vibrations of driving?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I had to drill mine out too. I didn't trust the bolts and threaded spacers idea from the company I ordered a body kit from. I was thinking of doing the nut and bolt idea since I just needed some fine threaded locking nuts, but the nearest hardware store was an hour away, so I opted to get a rivet gun with a 1/8 in. tip for $8 and a bunch of steel rivets for maybe $5 at the local swap meet :gringreen I run a local Mustang business doing body kits installs, wings, interior and exterior painting, etc. So the rivet thing ended up being ok. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't regular nuts and bolts eventually loosen from the vibrations of driving?
i used thread-locking bolts as well on my bumper, regular bolts *might* loosen up over time... i put my bumper on myself about 2 years ago and it's still there ! :laugh:

·
Registered
57 Posts
i used thread-locking bolts as well on my bumper, regular bolts *might* loosen up over time... i put my bumper on myself about 2 years ago and it's still there ! :laugh:
That's awesome man...must be the locking bolts then. I asked cause there was this guy at my college who used nuts and bolts to secure his bumper to his Stang. He bottomed out by the bookstore and his bumper came off :laugh: That was embarrasing... Glad it wasn't me! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
60 Posts
Installing parts from other cars is fine as long as you don't badge it as such. I know a V6 around here that has Cobra badging. BIG:nono:

how is that bad..? if they like cobras and wish there's was then let them?!
the heck is it too you? i know some gts and v6 that are yes FASTER then a cobra.. its not like they will get away with it anyone who cares can just steal a glance at there registration..
some ppl are rich some ppl have better things to spend there money on other then an over priced name car with 30 more hp then a stock gt..
:gringreen

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
how is that bad..?
because people who misbadge their cars and say they have something they dont make the rest of us look bad.
im not going to tell people what they can and can't do with their cars...but when was the last time anyone saw a misbadged V6 that had the power to back it up? and the ones who have the power don't misbadge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.