Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mustang seems to enjoy surging to 2 grand when idling and will not "reset" to normal idling RPMs. I believe it may have had something to do with my passenger side headers breaking off of the rest of the exhaust just above the connection to the pipes. It was obvious shotty homemade exhaust work when i took the exhaust off to keep it from dragging on the ground. the pipes didnt match at all and now im getting into a bind keeping from getting pulled over from how loud the mustang is. im going to replace the entire exhaust system but i do not know how to get the pipes back to normal order since the person who worked on the pipes had each side going straight back to its own catalytic converter and muffler. the pipes did not in any way shpe or form get close to each other. please help.

·
Registered
241 Posts
do a tune up.
plugs wires maybe even the coil pack/distributor
this could also be a computer error
its trial and error when it comes to electrical.
worst thing that could happen is take it to a shop

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you

You wouldnt happen to know what Brand of exhaust is the "best" for adding Horsepower as well as the "rumble" mustang is known for would you? I'm redoing the exhaust from the block to the rear bumper

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
majority of people swear by flowmasters all exhausts are within a few horsepower of eachother.. if you are doing a full exhaust and looking for maximum horsepower.. you should get a set of longtube headers with a set of mufflers of your choosing.. exhaust is basically a matter of taste. all perform similarly

·
Registered
84 Posts
No input for the surge issue, but your exhaust sounds like mine. Unless your prev owner actually put mufflers on.:smirk Our 2000 comes straight from the block as two seperate pipes and never joins but just has the cats, and whoever did it just cut the cats flanges and welded them to the pipes..
If we decided to go on and replace we were going with Flowmaster 40s. It's a sound preference, and also takes a fair amount of cash. Flows are reasonably priced in the exhaust market it seems, and that also helps their popularity. I think putting an H pipe on gives it a better sound than an xpipe. You'll just have to look at vids posted around the web on V6 exhausts to find your specific taste. :bigthumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.