Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 2003 Saleen S281SC a few months ago. Every morning when I first start it up it takes more than a few seconds to crank usually, and then when it is started it stumbles a little bit the first time I press on the gas pedal. It also kinda backfires whenever I push in the clutch or am coasting. As soon as the motor reaches temperature everything is normal, no backfiring, and it only takes about 2 clicks of the starter to start it when the motor is still warm at all.

I dont know anything about these computer cars, my other car is a 90. As far as I know it has the stock saleen tune on it. Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
sounds like the cold start tune is off, or the car may need a good tune up with plugs and wires...good luck, sounds like a cool car

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Does anyone know if the stock saleen tune turns the TC off? My TRAC Off light is on all of the time. The car does have some upgrades done to it, the JLT power pipe, and im not sure what size it is yet, but it has a professional products throttle body on it.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
might also be the fuel filter. +1 on just a whole tuneup.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Could be a sticking IAC.

But given the supercharger rig, I would suggest you get it to a good dyno and see what is what. We really don't know WHAT is in that car - the first owner might have monkied with it. Backfiring with a supercharged engine is not good, at any time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do yall know if there is a site or anything to find good dyno places specializing in mustangs in your area? We have a chassis dyno at work, but all we run on it is race cars, so it doesnt have all of the stuff to get all of the readings for a fuel injected car.

Also the car just hit 23K miles, so I am also all for doing a tune up, if someone can point me in the right direction for plugs and gap for a S/C car. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Mooresville, NC....

Not sure where that is, but there are a number of good Mustang clubs up in that area - hit Mustang Club of America - www.mustangs.org - and click the "Regional Clubs" list. If you contact (or better yet, join) a local club, they will know who to see in the local scene.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
for the tuneup i would recommend getting NGK TR6 plugs, gapped at .032. they are a bit pricey but supposedly the best plugs for a supercharged stang.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
TR

for the tuneup i would recommend getting NGK TR6 plugs, gapped at .032. they are a bit pricey but supposedly the best plugs for a supercharged stang.
Yes, that has been the word for several years now.

It applies particularly to cars with high boost (helps prevent blowing the spark around).

I would expect that there is another problem causing the cold/back firing issue, though.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have the Saleen Series IV blower kit that came on the 03 - 04 Saleen 281SC cars. I am running NGK BR7EF Spark plugs gapped at 0.035" with the smaller 2.8" pulley, custom tune and numberous other mods. You need to find out if the previous owner had a custom tune or chip added to the car or reflashed the computer.

One way to tell if there is a chip in the car is to pull the passenger's kick panel (on outside wall under glovebox) see if the computer has a chip sticking out the side.

Check the supercharger and measure the pulley. If it is stock, it will be 3.125" in diameter. It can be as small as 2.8" in diameter.

If there is any doubt, I would have the car dyno'ed by a reputable shop and have the air fuel ratio monitored to be on the safe side. I have heard of many people ruining their engine with a few tweaks and not checking the air fuel afterward.

Here is a link to some information you might find helpful since you have the 1.6L Lysholm twinscrew blower (Saleen Series IV Supercharger)

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...tang-saleen-series-iv-blower-information.html

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you again for all of the replies everyone. I went out and looked into it a little more, and the only upgrades I can see under the hood are the JLT cold air kit, a professional products throttle body (i dont know if Saleen uses those possibly), and the SC pulley is Reichard Racing 3.000 diameter, also looks like they upgraded the idler pulley as well. I also pulled off that kickpanel, saw the Saleen powertrain computer, didnt see anything sticking out of it, or anywhere you could stick anything into it. Looks all sealed up like its never been removed from the car. Only thing I saw attached to the bottom of it was gray plastic and had some ford logos on it.

Oh and grn_00_gt I noticed your in Murfreesboro. When we raced Nashville back in April I think we stayed in Murfreesboro when those tornadoes came through, only missed our hotel by like an 1/8 mile or something. Pretty intense.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Oh and grn_00_gt I noticed your in Murfreesboro. When we raced Nashville back in April I think we stayed in Murfreesboro when those tornadoes came through, only missed our hotel by like an 1/8 mile or something. Pretty intense.
Yeah, it missed my house by 2 miles, the wife was shaken up since she was able to see if from our house.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well ive decided to go ahead and do the tune-up, and change the oil and stuff and then take it down to the dyno, just to see what im starting with. Then let the dyno guys squeeze whatever they can out of it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well this problem finally identified itself today. As I was pulling into work all of a sudden the exhaust got way louder than the radio. I jumped out, opened the hood to a blast of raw exhaust coming out of the right side of the engine bay. The mid pipe blew off at the right side exhaust manifold. One of the nuts was gone, other one was loose, and the gasket exploded. So about $14 later and dropping pretty much the whole exhaust system fixed her up. Couldnt of happened at a better place other than home though. It also figures the day my car explodes, my buddy has his late model on the only lift in the race shop in pieces, so I had to do this whole operation on jackstands, not ideal.

You never really think about how much exhaust affects your car until something like this happens. I bet I was losing 50+ horespower, but the problem just kept getting progressively worse and I couldnt tell. It was like a whole different car on the ride home. No more backfiring, cranks right up.

Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions. Im still gonna do the tune-up and take her down to the dyno!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like it may be a minor spark issue (Might be wrong though). Take your IAC valve off and make sure its clean.

Have you cleaned your engine bay recently? Some guys just squirt it down with water (Bad Idea IMO) and it gets water down where your spark plugs are. :headscratch:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spent all day at the dyno, car was totally screwed when I got there. Air/Fuel at 18, intercooler pumps not working. Bunch of upgrades done before I bought it, never tuned. It ran out of injector and fuel pump once we started getting it right, got some 42# injectors and a 90mm MAF already ordered, trying to find a fuel pump. Heres a couple videos, and the sheet. All the guys from Pro Dyno knew their stuff, and are cool as hell.

One of the first Pulls - http://www.sofakingracing.com/bigbish/MOV00788.zip

Second to last pull - http://www.sofakingracing.com/bigbish/MOV00791.zip

Last Pull - http://www.sofakingracing.com/bigbish/MOV00792.zip

Heres the sheet, run 2 is blue, last run is red.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
wow. thank goodness you got it to the dyno. for fuel im pretty sure you could just run a kenne bell bost a pump and you would be all set. unless for some reason your fuel pump(s) are shot.

the install for the boost a pump is a breeze too. cut one wire and you're pretty much done.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
wow. thank goodness you got it to the dyno. for fuel im pretty sure you could just run a kenne bell bost a pump and you would be all set. unless for some reason your fuel pump(s) are shot.

the install for the boost a pump is a breeze too. cut one wire and you're pretty much done.
I have the Kenne Bell BAP on my 2000 GT with the original fuel pump, 42# injectors, 90mm LMAF and 114,000 miles. My A/F is 11.4 flat at WOT with 9# of boost.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where can you get a good price on one of those? Also where did yall mount yours at?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.