Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1996 Mustang GT 4.6L. He has a 2003 Mustang GT Engine and Transmission installed in it. All of the instrument guages work except speedometer, trip meter, and odometer. He said all I need is to buy a 2003 instrument panel and it will hook up correctly. As it is now the speedometer is not hooked up because he said it will just show a much faster speed than it should. Does anyone know if this is a simple fix? My friend is a mechanic and I trust him, however, i think this engine/tranny was his first swap. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

R

·
0 Posts
1998 back use's a mechanical/electroic VSS & speedo gear where 1999 up use a electronic/magnetic pick up...

R

·
0 Posts
short of putting back in a pre 1999 trans, you might look into something called "speed cal"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can't I get it reprogrammed at a dealer? After all they have to recalculate their trucks or cars anytime tire size changes..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was talking to a friends dad earlier who owns a ford dealership. He said as long as the wiring harness matches up, which it does, he can recalculate the ECM i think. He said it's just a matter of reprogramming the electronic cluster/sensor that senses how fast i'm going. can someone please explain to me what is going on? I really don't understand and have searched everywhere for an answer. The speedometer does work when hooked up, it just reads a lot faster or something. My mechanic friend said I just have to purchase an '03 instrument panel because it will read correct speed. My friends dad who owns ford dealership said it was a matter of of reprogramming the computer to read those gears.
... So confused...

R

·
0 Posts
well your friends dad is Wrong......as I stated, you'll have to either get the Speed-Cal or put the correct year transmission in the car....There is NOTHING a Ford dealer can-do to re-program a ECM for tire sizes, speedo or rear gear changes..... 1999 up electronic dash wont work either, it IS totally different than a 1996....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just talked to the ford mechanic and it is possible to do. However, I need to have engine and trans match, PCM for the year of the trans, VIN from the car the trans came out of, gear size, tire size, etc.. It is possible, but I think it's gonna be a lot better to get the speedcal.

So all in all, '96 powertrain control module, computer and engine sensors, 02 engine, 03 transmission&sensors. Speed-Cal will fix the speedo on it correct?

Are there any other mechanical issues I need to worry about? I've been driving the car for about 2 weeks now and havn't noticed anything out of the ordinary, and the friend I got it from says everything is good except the speedo/odo.

EDIT:*** Interior - Speed-cal, 94-2004, 5 Spd, Extended Range - Early Model Classic Mustang Restoration Parts This is the Speed Cal I would need correct?

Thanks for all of the help Randy.

R

·
0 Posts
I just talked to the ford mechanic and it is possible to do. However, I need to have engine and trans match, PCM for the year of the trans, VIN from the car the trans came out of, gear size, tire size, etc.. It is possible, but I think it's gonna be a lot better to get the speedcal.

So all in all, '96 powertrain control module, computer and engine sensors, 02 engine, 03 transmission&sensors. Speed-Cal will fix the speedo on it correct?

Are there any other mechanical issues I need to worry about? I've been driving the car for about 2 weeks now and havn't noticed anything out of the ordinary, and the friend I got it from says everything is good except the speedo/odo.

EDIT:*** Interior - Speed-cal, 94-2004, 5 Spd, Extended Range - Early Model Classic Mustang Restoration Parts This is the Speed Cal I would need correct?

Thanks for all of the help Randy.

never a problem but trust me, the "ford" mechinex at the shop is Wrong, It cannot be done as he stated...but anyway, yes that is the correct "speedcal" for what your doing....best of luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are there any other mechanical or integral failures I might need to lookout for considering the mix&match parts? My friend hasn't had any problems with it that I know of and neither have I in the past 2 weeks driving it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.