Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Mustang V6, 5 speed with only 53,730 miles on the car. Last Saturday while trying to make a left turn from a neighborhood street, I gunned the car up to around 5,600 RPM to try and beat the traffic as this was hard making a left with the heavy traffic. I pulled up to my friends house as he was waiting outside and he told me my car was making a rattling noise from underneath. I did not hear this noise and thought nothing of it until tonight when I got out of school. Sure enough, about 5-6 seconds after starting the car, there was this rattling noise that lasted about 2 seconds, then went away while the car was in neutral. What could this rattling possibly be? I'm going to guess either a catalytic converter (or it's heat shield is loose) or possibly a u-joint. I hope I didn't do severe damage to anything. I'm going to look under the car tomorrow and if I can't find anything, I might just have to take it up to the stealer-ship

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
all dat raw v6 power probably broke somethin loose:laugh: lol my dad's subie did the same thing for a while but we never really payed any attention to it. i cant honestly tell you what it is, but if it hasnt affected anything yet, that may be a good sign that its nothing serious. but still, be the smart guy and check it out.
good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I looked at it and couldn't find anything loose or broken. I took it to the nearest Ford Dealership and the only thing they could find were 3 nice sized rocks stuck in between the heat shield and catalytic converter. Costed me $99 but told me if I hear the noise again, just bring it in. Driving it home I didn't hear anything so I hope all it was were those 3 rocks lol

BTW while waiting for 2 hours, this nice 2008 GT500KR pulled into the service garage, that car was nice!!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
rocks between the heat shield... sounds like a worthy culprit to me!! :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.