Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here so if I am asking a question that has been beaten to death, be easy on me. :D

I'm in the middle of installing JBA ceramic shorties 1619S-1JT and came to the part where the dipstick tube is wedged between the block and the header. I have the tube all the way in, but I'm not real keen on having the tube touching the header. I read others have the issue but can't seem to find how they got around it.

When I bend the tube around to a point about 3/4" rearward where there is more room, the tube goes on the rearward side of the middle spark plug but looks like it will interfere with plug removal in the future. Also the tube bracket that connect to the head is way off and the tube still touches the header. Something else would need to be done to secure the tube (more work) to the head or elsewhere.

I called JBA and the guy at Tech service first said squeeze the tube some. I told him the header was wrapped too tight to the block and pinches the tube...then he said he never did an install and didn't know what I was talking about....then said to call JBA Racing.

The guy at JBA Racing said he hasn't installed on the V6 Stang and the guy that had, wasn't there. I told both these service dudes the Tube should not be touching the header. They just talked about possibly bending the tube but couldn't tell me where it should end up. (Sorry for the long story, just want ya'll to know I've been beating my head trying to figure this out on my own)

If someone could provide some direction on the tube placement or to where I can find the info, it would be appreciated.

Thanks much

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
it's the opinion of most on this forum that shorties bascially suck and are a waste of money...I would agree, I nearly had my 95 burn up from a set...that aside, I'd bend the header pipe if I had to...maybe Bullitt will chime in with a better solution

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to a muffler shop that diagnosed a cracked stock header...sooo living in CA and not wanting to go through the drama of long tubes and smog checks every 2 years, I opted for CARB legal shorties.

Bending headers is not an easy task. I don't have a mandrel tube bender in the garage either. The manufacturer should have figured out the proper clearances when the designed the headers.

What's funny is that one of the service guys at JBA was trying to BS me and say there were stand off bolt spacers in the kit that could be used to get more clearance. I called him on it and that's when he said he had never installed these.

Maybe able to triple up the header gaskets but shouldn't have to do that.

Would like to know how others that have installed JBA have got around the tube placement issue.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did you take the oil dipstick tube out and try playing around with the position to put it in? Didn't have any problems at all with BBK shorties!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you take the oil dipstick tube out and try playing around with the position to put it in? Didn't have any problems at all with BBK shorties!

I tried repositioning the tube on both sides of the plug. On the left side of the middle plug where it was with the stock manifold, it gets pinched between the header and the block. If I move it to the right of the plug, there is a indentation in the block that allows it to fit around, but the bracket doesn't fit back to the head mounting position.

BBK probably didn't tuck the headers as close to the block. They were thinking...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did you just try moving it around? Or did you literally take the entire oil dipstick tube out of the pan? You can remove the entire piece and then stick it in between or around the headers so you have an easier time finding a new location for it! Sorry maybe I'm just not understanding that well. Do you have pictures of what you're talking about?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulled the tube out several times, bent it, relocated.

It's a PITA with the master brake cylinder in the way. The tube bracket hits it. I can get the tube reseated again. Took 1/4" off the bottom of the tube to help clear the master cylinder.

As far as pics, nothing visual possible because of the location. I can only feel the headers, tube and block contact.

I'll give it a fresh start in the morning with a big pot of java.

thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Good luck, I hope you solve the problem!! Just keep asking questions if you need any advice!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is it an area that you can use exhaust wrap on?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I thought clearance was the problem here? What would exhaust wrap do?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sorry. I misinterpreted your problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Install completed...ended up removing the bracket on the dipstick tube...bending the tube to the right of the middle plug and making another bracket for the tube.

I had repositioned the tube and torqued all the bolt and last step put the dipstick in....and found out it wasn't touching oil!!

Loosened everything again and found the tube had bent in the pan moving the dipstick off to the side. Reshaped the tube and replaced the O-ring and reinstalled.

First install we left the stock header bolts in. Took those out and used the provided bolts which gave some additional clearance for the tube relocation.

All in all this install took 2 full days to get it done correctly. I took pics and will do an install writeup in case someone else gets JBA shorty headers.

Now the header doesn't touch the tube. :winks

·
Registered
13 Posts
A bad question to ask, but ...

You reside in California, right?

Are you sure the JBA header for 2004 3.9L Mustang is
California Legal?

From what I read at CARB's website JBA headers are not
CARB legal for 2004 3.9L V6 mustangs.

The 2000+ 3.8L V6 are legal and will fit on the 2004 3.9L V6,
but the headers are not California Legal.
As far as CARB is concerned a 3.8L and 3.9L are two
different engines.

I really hope I am wrong, but I don't think so

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.