Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone
After having bragged to my Lexus and BMW owning relatives and friends about how utterly trouble-free my '04 Mustang GT has been since I bought it in 2007 with 36k (now has 64k) I noticed a few drops of oil on my driveway about 5 weeks ago. The oil spill on the driveway is now about 4"x4".
I had the oil changed about a week before I noticed the first few drops and went back to the independent repair shop where it was done and asked the same mechanic if he could put it up on the rack and be sure that the drain plug was tightened, etc.
He shrugged an "ok" and then came back to me and said that it was tight and it appears that there is a leak at either the pan gasket or the rear main seal.
I'm suspicious.
Checking the oil level again yesterday the level is, if anything, a little bit higher than the top mark on the dip stick (warm engine).
Could that guy have over-filled my crankcase when he did the oil change?
Anyway I'm taking my Mustang GT to a Ford dealership on Monday for further inspection and an estimate.
I would appreciate any advice that will help me in dealing with whatever I am going to find out at Ford.

Thanks for any advice.
Tom B.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Wait till the car has sit a few minutes on a level area to check the stick. It could be a rear main seal leaking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2004 GT Oil Leak

Well found out today that I have a leaking oil pan gasket at the Ford dealership. When I was told that it was the pan gasket I was initially relieved as I had thought that would be much less expensive than replacing the rear main seal.
Then I got the quote: $955 P&L.
Apparently, on a 4.6L Mustang, replacing the pan gasket is an involved job (5.5 hours).
Has anyone had the same repair done? Mine is a 2004 GT.

Thanks for any reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts