Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, sorry for the replay, but I think the title was misleading. Hoping for some new direction: I have a 2004 Mach 1. The water pump went out while I was on the freeway.. I drove it for a very short time, maybe 5 seconds, and stopped. I had it towed to the dealer where they changed the pump. They contacted me and said there was catrostophic engine damage?? I've been told it may be the head gasket? I have her home now and am trying to start it. The engine turns over but will not fire. The fuel pressure valve squirts gas out and I hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key. I am hoping to start it for further diagnostics. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Does the theft light go out when the key is turned on (do not crank)?

Does holding the throttle half way open make any difference?

Does it make any difference to disconnect the MAF electrical connector?

Does the motor make normal chug-chug sounds while cranking?

What did the oil look like?

Have you CONFIRMED an injector pulse and COP pulse? Use a "noid" style test light.

Do you hear any strange noises during cranking? Perhaps a vacuum leak (cracked intake)?

What are the results of a compression test? All the rest is just guessing until this test has been done.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i assume its overheating still after change of water pump?

depending on the tech at ford...i have read storys of dealers not burping system right......what more did they tell you?

a water pump going bad on an 04? how did you come to this?

i had a head crack in sparkplug threads causing small water leak in exhaust.....when i seperated the mid pipe from header water was dripping out just 1 side..

when you took car home from dealer did you drive it of tow it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I was just informed there is no compression while cranking the motor.. Argh!! And there was a gas that smelled like exhaust that came out if the radiator when the cap was removed.. So now I'm looking at at least the head gasket. Any suggestions on mods that can be done while the heads are off?? My tires last way to long :)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
ZERO compression? Bigger problems than a head gasket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts