Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

About 6 months ago or so I started having a problem with my turn / brake signals. Sometimes when you would press the brake pedal it would cause the left turn signal to come on, slightly dimmed, and not blink. Let off the brake, and all was good. Similarly, turn the left turn signal on and sometimes it would cause the whole brake light array to blink with the directional. Shut off, and all was good.

These pair of problems were intermittent at best, and then became more distinct and reoccurred consistently.... at one point I even had a whisp of smoke leak out of the steering column, and the upper part of the column molding was getting hot.

About a week ago.. it all changed. Now, when I use my brake, only the trunk center light comes on, I get no additional illumination from the rear taillights (and the dash directional light does not light). Left turn signal causes both rear tail lights to blink in unison, like the hazards are on. Right turn signal is fine. ??????

I have the WebElectric sequencers installed, as well as a host of other electronics (a Viper SST Alarm/Start, amps, etc). In testing the remote start safety shutdown the Brake pedal still disengages the remote start as it should.

Help??? I would like to figure it out myself, but I would need to have ideas where to look and which wires to test for erroneous or weak / failed current, etc.. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Confirm that all fuses are good.

Normally the response would be "bad multifunction" switch. However, the mods done likely could change this.

A full set of Ford wiring diagrams and service DVD would be a big help to this sort of trouble shooting. Especially since so many electrical "mods" have been done.

If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able to help. PM If interested.

·
Registered
307 Posts
have you checked the bulbs in your break lights? and did your reverse light come on also when you step on your break petal? it sound to me like the bulbs are being grounded through the other bulbs so make sure its the right type of bulb and the contacts are not messed up.
as far as the smoke and hot column i would take that up with who ever put in the aftermarket goodies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sorry state of affairs is that I am the one whom has installed all the 'goodies' and it seems as though, after ~100K miles, the quality of my workship has finally started to break down. I bought my car with 10K on it's wheels, and by 15K it had most it's toys.

I have all the DEI diagrams, the Chiltons(sp?), a friend that is a mechanic for the heavy metal work, and a knack for wirestuff. I'm sure I will find the problem eventually. My mechanic friend told me that, because of the unique nature of the circuits - moisture, friction, or corrosion could be the cause.

I will dig.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts