Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 mustang V6 automatic, about 98k miles.

I drove it to a parking lot and turned it off. When I went to start it again, it wouldn't turn over, no noticeable click from the starter. The stereo clock turns on only with the key in the accessory position. A good Samaritan gave me a jump start. The car started fine and the battery level gauge looks good, but the speedometer and tach's needles buried themselves when the car turned over. I was able to get home and turned off the car. Now it won't start again, but when the ignition is turned to on, there are clicks under the hood (although I can't tell where, sound like right side middle area in under the hood) and the radiator fan buzzes, can feel that by placing my hand on it.

Battery? Starter? Ignition key issue? Something else?
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Additional info

Thanks shinerstang.
I cleaned the battery terminals and cables, they weren't corroded, but dirty . Connections at the PDI feel solid. A couple of fuses and 1 relay were a bit loose, so I reconnected them. No change in the behavior.

So does it sound like the battery voltage maybe good, but the cells or amperage may be bad?

Was unsure, with the odd behaviors.

BTW - Battery is original.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
2004 mustang update

Pulled the battery and had it tested.
Battery rated at 540 CCA, tested at 109CCA. Replaced and all is well.
Thanks for the info. Posting this update for future readers.
Cheers.

FYI - When I put in the new battery, and turned the key to on, the speedometer and tach both railed full right and back again. One time only. Am guessing that is some sort of reset.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.