Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just picked a 2004 GT with an auto for my g/f to drive. She loves the car as is, but of course wants more.

We'd like to get the car at or around the 300 whp mark. My question is: Is the 300 whp goal attainable using bolt ons with the 4.6 2v motor. That means no n2o, heads, cams or blowers.

Also, are the shorty headers worth anything as far as power gains, or should I just skip them and do long tubes and an x-pipe.

I'll also be doing electric cut-outs instead of a catback system.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i dont know about the bolt ons but as far as shorty vs long tube. Shortys are for more power on the bottom and long tube are for mid to high end power.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose that's the drawback of having such a little motor...

So even with something like trickflow's manifold it's not possible?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Dude do everything from headers to throttle body, all basic bolt on's and get like 265 rwhp like soemone else said, though it doesnt seem too exciting, but dont forget how much more torque its going to have, which is really what matters. And like we tell everyone else, dont forget about some gears!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
oh wow ignore that, i just noticed you were talking about rwhp.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
wait a sec, the stock '04 GT's have 260 hp. if you get a cai, exhaust, and a tuner you would have way more than 265 hp. please correct me if im wrong. oh and i would also suggest a new set of gears. you wont have mroe horsepower out of them but you certainly will feel a big difference.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
and for some reason my posts were switched? anyways ignore what i said

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gears may come along later on down the road. But nothing more than a set of 3.55's. Which may not be worth getting anyway.

I have two things to consider with this build-up.

1. My g/f drives like a nutcase when I'm not in the car with her to yell at her (she will literally race anything that challenges her, so a stout set of gears will only get her in trouble that much faster.)

2. Gas mileage...she drives on the highway 25 miles one way everyday to work.

I like bolt on mods becuase they don't adversely effect the mpg ratings so long as you keep your foot off the go pedal.

So which companies are generally accepted as the best for the various bolt-ons. I've heard that KN has the best CAI and the price is pretty good as well.
What others are faily good?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I like my C&L. I also hear a lot about JLT on here too.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Your honestly not going to see 300hp with bolt-on's with out dipping into other bolt on's like heads,cams, n2o, blower. All the basic bolt on's will net you around 260hp (to the ground) As far as Shorties and LT's, it would be better to go with LT's as the shorties don't gain much over your stock exhaust manifolds. Especially in an auto your car is starting from around 215hp (to the ground) bone stock, it will be difficult to make that kind of power. I would just save for a blower man:bigthumbsup Tell your girl to pitch in some money for a blower too:D

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
The best all-around gear for an auto would be 3.73's:bigthumbsup 4.10's would be too much for your gf to handle. Also plan on getting sets of new tires more often because she will be spinning the tires a lot more with her lead foot lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have full bolt ons minus the headers and have a tiny bit more than 300rwhp so yes it is certainly obtainable.... shorty headers are not worth it at all get long tubes..

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Zmartin Do you have a dyno sheet to prove that you have 300rwhp?

There is no possible way that you gained 80rwhp from your few bolt-ons... Sorry to dissapoint you. It takes H/C/I on the 4.6L 2v to reach 300+rwhp N/A.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
wait a sec, the stock '04 GT's have 260 hp. if you get a cai, exhaust, and a tuner you would have way more than 265 hp. please correct me if im wrong. oh and i would also suggest a new set of gears. you wont have mroe horsepower out of them but you certainly will feel a big difference.
That hp rating is at the crank, not the wheels, you lose quite a bit of power in the driveline, like 60-70 hp I think, though I don't remember the exact figures.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
That hp rating is at the crank, not the wheels, you lose quite a bit of power in the driveline, like 60-70 hp I think, though I don't remember the exact figures.
Lol, not 60-70hp. It's usually around this figure: Auto=est. 215rwhp and 5-speed=est. 225rwhp

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
i have full bolt ons minus the headers and have a tiny bit more than 300rwhp so yes it is certainly obtainable.... shorty headers are not worth it at all get long tubes..
With the mods listed I doubt you have over 300rwhp(unless you need to update your sig) I say you have 240-250rwhp if you have a auto or 250-260rwhp if you have a 5-speed. A dyno sheet would be nice:D

·
Registered
378 Posts
300 rwhp?? Are you sure about that?? sounds like crank hp to me.......:nono:

·
Registered
72 Posts
my fault i just caught my mistake... i meant at the crank sorry

·
Registered
83 Posts
i need like 3 more whp to make 300hp n/a:scratchchin