Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have all the parts ready for the auto to t5 swap, but I'm stuck on one part. Are the block plate and dust shield the same part? I have the block plate but not the dust shield and I compared a few pictures and they look like the same part.

Another thing is where is the speedometer gear on this transmission? Its a 2001 t5 transmission and I have a 2004 t5 wiring harness and speed sensor and this is pretty confusing trying to locate it.

Also all the part that I have are from a 2004 v6 t5 with the exception of the transmission which is from a 2001 t5 and these are all the parts I have
rebuilt t5 transmission
bellhousing w/ ballstud
clutch and flywheel
clutch fork
clutch quadrant, cable and firewall adjuster
clutch pedal assembly
speed sensor
shifter
upper and lower shift boot
t5 computer and wiring harness
driveshaft
rear main seal

I was wondering if those are all the parts that I need or am I missing something? Thanks!!!

R

·
0 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but, 99+ T5s do not have speedo gears. They were electronic pick-ups.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea all I know is that is supposedly somewhere on a shaft and that it should have came with the 01 t5 i purchased. Thats what is very confusing, I want to make sure im not missing anything before I start the swap.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks shiner! That would have been a frustrating set back! Do you have any idea about the speedo gear on the transmission and if I need to get it or if its already there?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Thanks shiner! That would have been a frustrating set back! Do you have any idea about the speedo gear on the transmission and if I need to get it or if its already there?
There should be one on the '01 tranny. It is located on the driver's side tailshaft housing, and your harness will plug into it. It is a magnetic pickup that senses the speed at which it spins. The 99-04's all use the same style, so no gear is needed......

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much again shiner!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and last question, are the block plate and dust shield the same part?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Oh and last question, are the block plate and dust shield the same part?
No. A block plate goes between your block and the tranny. The dust shield is a small shield that goes over your clutch cable housing. Not needed for your application, and use your auto block plate for the T5. It doesn't matter. Just don't use a 5.0 block plate and you're all set.

Also, make sure you get the pilot bearing in the clutch kit. You will need one......

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thank you very much, I feel very confident about the swap!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey shiner, do you happen to have 6 of those flywheel bolts laying around?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Let me know how the swap goes, WindCity. I'm interested in trying this next summer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks shiner! And rizer, I'll be posting the progress as soon as I begin the swap!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts