Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forums. I have a 2004 3.9 V6 Convertible and I have been having a lot of vibration. and wasn't sure what was causing it. I took it to the shop and they said there was major shaking of the drive-shaft and differential. They said it could be a bearing where the drive-shaft meets the differential, but weren't positive as what was going wrong in the rear end. I took video of the shaking and I uploaded it to YouTube. I'll post a link>>> 2004 Mustang - YouTube
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't see any oil leaking out around the pinion seal, so I doubt that the problem is in the rear end. I think you have u joint problems. Also, with the rear end hanging down at this angle it's going to cause the u joints to operate at a higher angle, so this might be making it worse.

You should be able to hold the drive shaft and shake it and see some free play somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't see any oil leaking out around the pinion seal, so I doubt that the problem is in the rear end. I think you have u joint problems. Also, with the rear end hanging down at this angle it's going to cause the u joints to operate at a higher angle, so this might be making it worse.

You should be able to hold the drive shaft and shake it and see some free play somewhere.
They took the differential cover off and checked for metal shavings and there were none. The mechanic also said the gears seemed to mesh well without any hangups or anything. I watched him check everything and from what I saw it looked okay. No broken teeth or anything like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Change the u-joints before the driveshaft falls out of it. If that's not it, it's in the rear end, did you turn the wheels by hand to feel how the rear end is.
Everything seemed to be smooth. The Mechanic opened the differential up and checked the gears and checked for any metal shavings. He said it all looked fine. I stood and watched him and the gears all looked fine and turned smooth when he spun the wheel by hand. Though I know absolutely 0 about rear ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts