Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm from england and rented a mustang from avis when i was in the states last year, but after playing around with it for a while, realised it was severely restricted in power, i'd say around the 130/140 bhp mark.
There were other anonmolies with the power and delivery as well, i can go into those if needed.

Anyway, point being, it seemed to be an ECU related control, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about rental hp restrictions and/or if there is anything i can do when i visit again this year, i thought about resetting the ECU, is it still possible by disconnecting the bat for a few mins?

Its bad enough i have to hire an auto, never mind one with less hp than my normal car at home!

Any help would be apprecaited.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I'm not sure how they configure rentals but it sure would be fun to take your Predator/XCAL and give it a custom tune.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Erm, are they ecu programs? sorry, we don't get the stang here, so tuning them isn't something i'm into.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
MaDMaXX said:
Erm, are they ecu programs? sorry, we don't get the stang here, so tuning them isn't something i'm into.
They are the devices from which you reprogram you ECU. You can change all the variables with them and upload the new configuration to your car.

It would be fun to reprogram for MAX POWER and have some fun. If you buy the $20 insurance you can beat the crap out of the car until it dies, then you call the rental company and they bring you a new one!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd heard something about the rental Mustangs being a cut below a retail base model, but I didn't give it much credence until your post.

Doesn't surprise me if they limit the maximum horsepower of the motor somehow, either by hardware or software. I guess the rental companies don't want their customers drag racing or running the risk of added liability.

If someone's dumb enough to drag a rental car and wrap it around a telephone pole, they'll certainly be dumb enough to blame the agency for renting them the car in the first place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, i think its software restricted, would be so much cheaper and easier for them to do. Also, though i can't say what the standard auto performs like, but just putting your foot down won't even induce wheel spin. max revs in neutral is 4k, dump it into D or 1 and it electronically cuts the power until it idles out, then enganges the drive, so pulling off from base revs.

Basically need a way to fix this, my friend over there hired one from hertz and he didn't have any issues with it regards power, it was a few months prior to my visit.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Redeemer said:
I have learned that "tolerance" does not mean you agree with everything that other people say, or that you subordinate your best instincts to the tyranny of mass opinion. It simply means you pretend not to know that everyone on the planet but you is a complete and total moron.
:drink:

God I love your quote!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, good quote ;)

Anyway, its not as if i want to go wrecking the car for fun, though i do get the $20 ins.
Its that i want to drive a beautiful car with some decent power, not something my gran would be safe driving :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
MaDMaXX said:
yeah, good quote ;)

Anyway, its not as if i want to go wrecking the car for fun, though i do get the $20 ins.
Its that i want to drive a beautiful car with some decent power, not something my gran would be safe driving :(
Did u come to Vegas for the SEMA show? I met an English fella out at the drag strip one night and he was driving a V6 rental and was getting a tour of our track as he ran a track in England.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah, i was in Oregon, took it up to Washington state and a blast round some back roads, well, best you can do trying to manual shift a damn auto.

So, no one got any ideas for this then?

·
Registered
102 Posts
My idea would be to buy a tuner for the rental, and overwrite the restricted settings in the computer if it's possible. Mind you, $300 is an expensive option. Check out Hypertech or Jones Engineering Technology.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, not only that, but it looks very much like it would be the v6 option (i didn't even know they bothered) anyway :(

What i need now is somewhere to rent a v8 mustang from in portland, oregon (or nearby) i'd even settle for one of them weird auto box jobs ;)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
not sure if they rent GT's.

my v6 vert rental from hertz was fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, let me put it this way, it had a GT badge on the back, and even hooking it round at an intersection with the traction control off, i couldn't get the rears lit up at all, it was just electronically imposible! :(

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm still really doubtfull it was a GT, or if it was it was running a Valet tune. If I drop the hammer in my GT with the wheel turned look the F out because it's donut city. Round and Round she goes.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
MaDMaXX said:
Well, let me put it this way, it had a GT badge on the back, and even hooking it round at an intersection with the traction control off, i couldn't get the rears lit up at all, it was just electronically imposible! :(

I wanna say what drugs were you on? they got some good stuff in NE?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
valet tune?

But yeah, this one was choked to death somehow, like i said, my friend rented one from hertz, it was the v6 he reckons but it'd light the tyres no problem, this one just kinda electronically cut the throttle until the revs died right back before picking up again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MaDMaXX said:
valet tune?

But yeah, this one was choked to death somehow, like i said, my friend rented one from hertz, it was the v6 he reckons but it'd light the tyres no problem, this one just kinda electronically cut the throttle until the revs died right back before picking up again.
I'll second that experience, also from Hertz. I rented one over the Christmas holiday while visiting family/friends in Philadelphia. The dreaded throttle-lag is very noticable in the v6, much more than the v8, though with TCS disabled, brake-loading it on dry pavement results in a very impressive-sounding, though lame-looking one-wheel'ed burnout track (need limited slip on the v6 too!!!).

The only thing I can guess if you saw a GT badge on the back, was that someone may have been having some fun with their rental and applied a GT-power sticker mod (similar to adding coffee-can exhausts and Type-R stickers). Did it have a nice, loud dual exhaust?

Driving the v6 vert for a week still made me appreciate my v8 vert, but it's definitely no slouch, barring any apparently Avis-induced de-tuning. My Hertz rental seemed about right for what it's supposed to be... try renting from Hertz!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah i suspected there to be a neutral limiter, and i apologise, i've just checked out the pics i took, there is no GT badge, it must be the V6, i must have been staring at all the GT's going round when i was driving.
Yeah, so i think ill try hertz this year, see what i get, well, thats assuming i can't find a special rental place where i can hire a GT.

I strongly suspect something weird done by Avis :/

·
Registered
29 Posts
rental stangs

To the best of my knowledge.. the only rental Mustangs I have seen in the U.S. have been V6 autos, they might do something with them..I don't know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.