Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I just finished installing a Gt500 front fascia and lights on my 2005.I am very pleased with the results.My wife however was upset that were unable to use our headlight splitters that were installed with the original fascia.I was also surprised to find out that they were unavailable to purchase.

Soooo,I had an idea.

With a belt sander set up upside down and alot of patience I was able to alter mine to work and it turned out way better than expected.The fit is even better than it was on the original bumper and best of all I didn't have to repaint them .The belt sander left a perfect edge.

After removing all the old 3m tape, I held it up to the light and bumper and marked the backside of the splitter to match the angle of the light and where I wanted it to end beside the grill.I then used the belt sander to slowly carve out the back of the splitter to match the profile of the bumper.Doing it in small steps test fitting constantly until it was perfect.Installed new 3m tape and voila!

I hope this helps anybody with a gt500 or gt500 conversion that wanted to install splitters.I'm very pleased with the results and my wife is happy again.

Now just waiting for my Venom II hood to come in.On backorder:weeps:weeps 100_1404.JPG

100_1405.JPG

100_1406.JPG

100_1407.JPG

100_1408.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,I like the "uniqueness"of the splitters.

I purchased the parts at my local ford dealer.
Here in Canada shipping and duty charges are through the roof.The dealer matched the price I got online and because they're local I didn't have to pay shipping or duty.

They did the same for the wheels.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nicely done, not only the splitters but the entire car, and you have the Go to go with the Show.
I`m envious!

·
Registered
704 Posts
That looks great! What are you gonna do about your shaker when you get your new hood? just curious

·
Registered
16 Posts
LOVE that front end..My all time favorite, I chose the roush to save 1.5k haha but man its beautiful :worship...Whatd you pay?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliments,like most vehicles on here it is a constant work in progress.I'm replacing parts I've already replaced.but that's what's great about mustangs.it's like getting a new car every timeyou change something up and you never get bored with it.

I got the front conversion pieces at the dealer for $2300 plus tax and it was $300 to paint the front bumper and they did a great job.I got home today to find out my hood arrived.man it is awesome!!!:kooky::kooky:
I'll have to wait until Monday to get it prepped and painted.I was quoted another $300 to paint the hood but I expect it to be a little more due to the extra prep work on the fiberglass.

I plan on selling the shaker and the other front components that were replaced.

I' ll post some pics when I get the hood installed

·
Registered
54 Posts
awesome job!! and awesome car!!!:bigthumbsup:kooky:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
awesome job on the splitters and i like the whole conversion:bigthumbsup i want to do the same but its a bit to much money right now for me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts