Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was reading the thread about the new 3.7s running against the olders 4.6s and it got me thinking (Uh-oh, I try not to do much of that!:winks) Has anyone had the chance to try their luck against the new 5.0s yet?

I played around with one a few weeks ago. We weren't really racing. We talked at a stop light for a few minutes then we just wanted to see what each other's car could do. We hit it at about 30mph and I was right with him (I was surprised:bigthumbsup) We hit it again at about 55 and he got me that time :( but not by much :) nothing another mod or two wont fix:winks

He was telling me (we pulled over and talked for a bit) that he noticed his car starts making noticably more power than the 4.6 (said he had an 05 GT before the 5.0) when you start getting into the higher rpm. Said when you punch it at 65mph, you better hold on! Told me he'd actually lost a light to light race against an 09GT with full bolt ons. But in a full 1/4 mile/highway race he'd win all day. (Talking about bolt ons, guys, all the f/i crowd can sit back down and calm down a bit:laugh::winks)

He was totally stock though, and I forgot to ask which gears he had. It was also an auto!

To be completely honest, I wasn't that impressed. Going by what I've heard and read, I thought the coyote would rape me in ANY kind of race! The thing has 100+ HP and 70+TQ, better aerodynamics, 6spd trans, etc.

So... Have you raced the new 5.0s yet? What happened?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i dont have an 05-10gt but i raced one on top end, big mistake, those things move up top. i want to try a stock one in the 1/4 mile, i believe ill get a stock one by a couple tenths even though i have way less power.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I went up against one on a little highway pull and he walked all over me. His was modded though (or atleast an exhaust, sounded amazing) but those new 5.0's are quick quick quick up top

·
Registered
85 Posts
If he had an auto he had the 331 gear set. the best way to tell if the they have the 373's is to look at the front brakes if its got brembos your dealing with 373's if not you got a 331 car. I think if he had the brembo package he would have been on you alot harder.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I think he would've destroyed me if we had really been racing!

We kinda just hit it for a few seconds. I stayed with him the first time, true, but he was pulling on me a bit.

It seems like my car is best when at a 30mph roll. When I floor it at 30, I get a nice quick response and get slammed into my seat. When I floor it above 60mph, it's still nice, but nothing like that slam into the seat at 30. And you could tell when we floored it at like 55, how much harder his car pulled. He would have walked me if we'd been racing for long!

I was only kidding about a mod or two fixing it. I'd probably need FI to beat the 5.0s...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I did a few runs on the highway with jrglenni, not sure what mods he's got but starting at about 70 he would pull on me then towards the top of fourth I would start catching up and then couldn't seem to find fifth gear everytime!! so i'd really fall behind, I did have 3 ppl with me so there was a little extra weight. So I really can't say what it would be like from a dig.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a 06 GT manual with full bolt-ons and 4.10s and now I have a 11 GT manual with a tune, axle back, a K&N, and the 3.55 gears. I never raced a 5.0 with the 06 and have yet to race a 4.6 with the 5.0. I got to agree with the guy though the 5.0 has crazy top end power. A bolt on 4.6 may hang from a dig up to 60 but after that all 5.0.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hence the reason I'm saving up for a Whipple :winks Then I could beat a 5.0 down low and in the high rpms

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hence the reason I'm saving up for a Whipple Then I could beat a 5.0 down low and in the high rpms
I thought about the same thing, but decided against putting the money for a blower in my '06. So I drank the cool-aid and bought a 5.0.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
So, I was reading the thread about the new 3.7s running against the olders 4.6s and it got me thinking (Uh-oh, I try not to do much of that!:winks) Has anyone had the chance to try their luck against the new 5.0s yet?

I played around with one a few weeks ago. We weren't really racing. We talked at a stop light for a few minutes then we just wanted to see what each other's car could do. We hit it at about 30mph and I was right with him (I was surprised:bigthumbsup) We hit it again at about 55 and he got me that time :( but not by much :) nothing another mod or two wont fix:winks

He was telling me (we pulled over and talked for a bit) that he noticed his car starts making noticably more power than the 4.6 (said he had an 05 GT before the 5.0) when you start getting into the higher rpm. Said when you punch it at 65mph, you better hold on! Told me he'd actually lost a light to light race against an 09GT with full bolt ons. But in a full 1/4 mile/highway race he'd win all day. (Talking about bolt ons, guys, all the f/i crowd can sit back down and calm down a bit:laugh::winks)

He was totally stock though, and I forgot to ask which gears he had. It was also an auto!

To be completely honest, I wasn't that impressed. Going by what I've heard and read, I thought the coyote would rape me in ANY kind of race! The thing has 100+ HP and 70+TQ, better aerodynamics, 6spd trans, etc.

So... Have you raced the new 5.0s yet? What happened?

I was lucky enough to drive one. Its the truth....they really pull towards the upper end of the power band. I felt it was a little wimpy off the line, compared to our cars.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I thought about the same thing, but decided against putting the money for a blower in my '06. So I drank the cool-aid and bought a 5.0.
Just curious, are you happy with the decision you made? The only reason I don't just buy a 5.0 is because I'm in school and can't afford a new car right now. I have to save up money for the Whipple. Who knows though, maybe someday I'll have a 5.0 sitting beside my 06 in the garage (fingers crossed)

PS sorry for kind of hijacking this thread.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ran one the other day... Not really a fair race for him though. 10 lb techco blower and a slew of other goodies. But he had a real pretty car. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just curious, are you happy with the decision you made?
Yeah I am. My '06 was a great car and I enjoyed it for 5 years, but I really like '11. The engine is great, 6 spd is nice, the car handles well, and overall it's improved over the 05-09 cars. My '06 was paid off so it sucks having a car payment although it's a small one.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I played with one last summer.

1st run was a 45 mph roll race. He started pulling until he missed 3rd. I didn't miss, and blew by him. He would have beaten me handily if he had caught 3rd.

2nd run was a dig race. He sat and spun. I dug in. I was bus lengths ahead when I shut it down at the top of 2nd(not enough room for 3rd). I've always wondered what the outcome of this race would have been if he had not spun on the launch.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
IF the 5.0 is stock, or even has a CAI and tune, there not all that on the 1/4 mile. My 06 will leave them so far behind that it looks like I am racing a Honda. Yea but that is not fair my car is really meant for the 1/4 mile. I raced one guy that had a 75 shot or so he said and still whooped him good. I think that there are also many factors , such as the driver the traction mods, ect.

·
Registered
307 Posts
IF the 5.0 is stock, or even has a CAI and tune, there not all that on the 1/4 mile. My 06 will leave them so far behind that it looks like I am racing a Honda. Yea but that is not fair my car is really meant for the 1/4 mile. I raced one guy that had a 75 shot or so he said and still whooped him good. I think that there are also many factors , such as the driver the traction mods, ect.
I couldn't agree more, I've beat faster cars, just by out driving them, and I've been out driven by slower cars.. Driver plays more of a factor than most people realize, you can have all the horsepower money can buy, but if you can't put it to the ground and keep it between the ditches, it really does you no good.

As far as on topic, There's a guy running a 5.0 at my local track, he has street slicks, I haven't got beside him yet nor seen his times because it seems i'm always in line when he runs and I'm too far back in the staging lanes to see. I hope to get a side by side before the summers over though.. He'll win for the simple fact of having slicks, but if I stay close, I'll be happy until I can get some ET Streets.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ive only got a few payments left on my 06 with only 30k on the odo, and im tired of payments. gonna start pouring some cash into it when i pay it off. whipple or procharger on the list for sure. first thing though, im gonna correct a five year old mistake. that POS hurst comp plus shifter is coming out and going on ebay in favor of the steeda tri ax. hurst sucks. period. its a sloppy POS, it rattles, keeps coming loose even with locktite. i feel like im shifting gears with a pair of grilling tongs its so sloppy...... got what i paid for.... junk.

as far as the '11s, i dislike the body style, especially the rear end. think mine looks better, six speed is just another overdrive gear, (i dont get out of 3rd in the quarter and dont rally race so 5 gears is fine) and while i do think the 5.0 is badass, it doesnt woo me enough to sign the dotted line again, i can beat the crap out of it with a 5k blower.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Come on guys I loved my 06 and I'm not trying to be a jerk but dang there is some denial going on here.
The '11s weigh the same as the older cars and most of the manuals dyno in the 375-385 range. The 6 spd does not have 2 overdrives. It is close ratio with 5th being 1:1 and 4th being equal to 3rd in the 05-10 cars. It does a very good job of keeping the car in the power. My car has the 3.55s in it and they feel close to the 4.10s that were in my 06. That's my I haven't changed them. A factory 3:73 geared 2011 has the same overall 1st grear ratio as a 4.10 geared 2010 and a second gear that is much lower.
Guys are running low 12s with minimal bolt-ons and I'm talking 12.2xs or better on exhaust and a tune. Check the 5.0 forums if you don't believe me.
I'm not saying dump your car now for a 5.0, but they are impressive. They also have there faults like any new design and you'll see that right quick too if you check out the 5.0 sections.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Come on guys I loved my 06 and I'm not trying to be a jerk but dang there is some denial going on here.
The '11s weigh the same as the older cars and most of the manuals dyno in the 375-385 range. The 6 spd does not have 2 overdrives. It is close ratio with 5th being 1:1 and 4th being equal to 3rd in the 05-10 cars. It does a very good job of keeping the car in the power. My car has the 3.55s in it and they feel close to the 4.10s that were in my 06. That's my I haven't changed them. A factory 3:73 geared 2011 has the same overall 1st grear ratio as a 4.10 geared 2010 and a second gear that is much lower.
Guys are running low 12s with minimal bolt-ons and I'm talking 12.2xs or better on exhaust and a tune. Check the 5.0 forums if you don't believe me.
I'm not saying dump your car now for a 5.0, but they are impressive. They also have there faults like any new design and you'll see that right quick too if you check out the 5.0 sections.
biggest fault for me is another #[email protected]% payment:D and just to clarify, when i said the 6th gear is another overdrive, thats just my opinion because i would only use it to cruise on the interstate, never using it in a race, so the 6th gear is just not important to me. 5 works just fine. i realize the ratios for the 6spd are different than the 5spd. plus the 6060 tremec is swappable into my GT if i ever felt so inclined.....which i dont think i will...

·
Registered
116 Posts
GTNOS,

Trust me I understand the payment thing. It took me dang near a year to convince myself to trade mine in because of that, but I did really good on the trade and got mine for $300/month for 60 months. I'm happy with that, but I was not willing to spend a penny more on it.

Now on the transmission. The MT82 does not have 2 overdrives like the TR-6060. It has 5 usable gears and just one overdrive gear. Here are the gear ratios compared:

MT82 TR-6060
1st 3.66 2.97
2nd 2.43 1.78
3rd 1.69 1.3
4th 1.32 1.0
5th 1.00 .85
6th 0.65 .63

So basicaly the MT82 gives you great gearing advantage over any other transmission thats been in a Mustang and keeps the 5.0 in the meat of it's power band without the need to run 4.10+ gears.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts