Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again everyone. Got a different problem now. So my girlfriend was driving down the road and when she let off the gas to coast down a hill the car basically choked down and died and went into limp mode. It will run but not smoothly and it takes some effort to actually start. I checked the butterfly’s in the tb and they appear to be operating as they should. Also tested the voltage for the tps and it was at 1.27. I’m getting 3 error codes. P2104, p2111 and p2112.

P2104Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle

P2111Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open

P2112Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Closed

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
I’m no expert, but my guess would be that you need a new throttle-body. Perhaps someone else will jump in with better help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m no expert, but my guess would be that you need a new throttle-body. Perhaps someone else will jump in with better help.
i was kinda thinking the same thing, luckily they don’t appear to be that expensive. Was just seeing if anyone else had the same problem. Was googling and came across a fixya.com post where a guy had the exact same codes and the “expert” that answered said he needed a new tb assembly and according to them, there’s one that’s made for the focus that’s supposed to stop the issue from happening again

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
i was kinda thinking the same thing, luckily they don’t appear to be that expensive. Was just seeing if anyone else had the same problem. Was googling and came across a fixya.com post where a guy had the exact same codes and the “expert” that answered said he needed a new tb assembly and according to them, there’s one that’s made for the focus that’s supposed to stop the issue from happening again
I know the TB can be, and has been the cause of these types of problems, I just don’t know if the TB is necessarily the ONLY cause of this problem. Before you go spending the money, make absolutely sure there isn’t a wiring or connector problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the TB can be, and has been the cause of these types of problems, I just don’t know if the TB is necessarily the ONLY cause of this problem. Before you go spending the money, make absolutely sure there isn’t a wiring or connector problem.
All the wires appear intact, connections look good. Throttle body however does look dirty, was thinking of cleaning it while disconnecting the battery before I tried to order another. Was also reading something about the spark plugs needing changed, how much of a possibility would the be?

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Throttle body however does look dirty, was thinking of cleaning it
That wouldn’t hurt. It’s definitely a possibility and would be great if that fixed it.

spark plugs needing changed, how much of a possibility would the be?
Slim to none. They made need changing, but they’re not going to throw that set of codes IMO.

Reactions: squirrel30668

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That wouldn’t hurt. It’s definitely a possibility and would be great if that fixed it.

Slim to none. They made need changing, but they’re not going to throw that set of codes IMO.
Is there any special procedure to programming the throttle body or anything or can I just pull it, clean or replace it and be good to go?

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
It’s easily a DIY affair. You should do some looking around on YouTube. There should be a ton of video how-to’s on this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s easily a DIY affair. You should do some looking around on YouTube. There should be a ton of video how-to’s on this.
Is this the method I’m reading about that’s talking about switching the car on and pressing the gas pedal all the way down then letting it up and turning car back off?

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Is this the method I’m reading about that’s talking about switching the car on and pressing the gas pedal all the way down then letting it up and turning car back off?
That’s one way, another is to remove it for cleaning. You need to watch a few videos and see what you’re comfortable with.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Most probable that the actuator motor is going out OR the TP sensor has dead spots in it sending incorrect voltage signal to ECM.
Basic procedure for replacing a Ford Throttlebody and the re-learn procedure:
Specific V6 Mustang TB replacement with torque values. Do not over tighten the TB bolts. The silicone gasket can be damaged or the brass nutserts can be easily stripped out if over tightened. Also get a new gasket for added assurance. They are inexpensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I pulled the throttle body and it was dirty as expected but I was kind of on the lookout for a spring of some kind under a plastic cap? Well the only plastic cap I seen on the assembly was on the side of the stepper motor and it had no spring inside. Also, is it normal for a little radiator fluid to come out of the small hoses attached to the bottom of the TB?

·
Registered
829 Posts
So I pulled the throttle body and it was dirty as expected but I was kind of on the lookout for a spring of some kind under a plastic cap? Well the only plastic cap I seen on the assembly was on the side of the stepper motor and it had no spring inside. Also, is it normal for a little radiator fluid to come out of the small hoses attached to the bottom of the TB?
The return spring is under the cap on motor(accuator) side, however, there's a plastic "clocking pre-load" piece on top of it that makes it not visible. In order to see the spring you'd have to remove the motor assembly which will unwind the spring. Here's the BBK TB instructions that illistrate the transfer of the motor assembly and TP sensor.
As for small hoses attached to the TB, I don't see them on the Ford service manual link I provided, so I don't know what they do and they're not mentioned in the BBK guide. Guess its possble they cool the stock TB with coolant.?

Edit: I see Rockauto lists "unheated-without pipe" and "heated-with pipe" versions of the TB. And I found this forum discusion on "bypassing" the TB coolant lines. So I would say based that, yes, coolant in those hoses is "normal".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi again everyone. Got a different problem now. So my girlfriend was driving down the road and when she let off the gas to coast down a hill the car basically choked down and died and went into limp mode. It will run but not smoothly and it takes some effort to actually start. I checked the butterfly’s in the tb and they appear to be operating as they should. Also tested the voltage for the tps and it was at 1.27. I’m getting 3 error codes. P2104, p2111 and p2112.

P2104Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle

P2111Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open

P2112Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Closed
Bad throttle body. Replace it...won't break the bank. And when does a guy let his gf drive his stange!!! Lol...jk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bad throttle body. Replace it...won't break the bank. And when does a guy let his gf drive his stange!!! Lol...jk
Bought this one for her lol figured she could handle the v6. Yea I got one on the way for $70 for the unheated version, which means I’ll have to do that coolant hose mod which is half done at the moment. Auto zone wanted $300 for a new one that has the coolant hose fittings

Update: got the new TB in today, bypassed the coolant hoses since I bought the unheated version which took about 5 mins then slapped that TB on in another 5 mins. Recalibrated the new TB and she’s right as rain. Very easy fix. Thanks everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts