Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently looking for advice on an issue I’m experiencing with my mustang. There is a squealing noise when moving my car from park into drive which is more prominent after driven.
In the video attached it was after a drive. I just replaced the belt, idler pulley, and pulley this was not the problem. I don’t believe it’s the AC but know it is not a mechanical problem, but sound is more prominent when AC is cranked especially on a cold start. It could be a flap in the intake but I’m unsure. This sound is only made the first 1-10 mph when in drive.
Let me know if any of you guys had issue similar or feedback on this situation.
Squealing issue video link

·
Super Moderator
7,908 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Texas. I see you had some double posts so I deleted the others and moved this post to the current location.

I barely hear the noise and my thought is the water pump is the source of the noise. A squealing noise in my opinion has to be a mechanical issue.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, In communications with my mechanic back home thinks it could possibly be water pump as well. Do you think this is an issue I should be pressed about? Or is it more of something I am going to have to deal with until I have the funds to continue experimenting.

·
Super Moderator
2,528 Posts
@Ryan-higg
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

I wouldn’t delay in fixing this unless you’re prepared to just park the car until then. You don’t want to be out driving around and have it break on you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is driving fantastic, better than ever the reason why I am asking is because I am a college student who needs the car for travel. So if it feels great and runs great, only thing wrong is just that sound when my foot is on the brake, not moving or creeping through a drive through.

·
Super Moderator
7,908 Posts
If you can't electively, replace it now, I would take a look under the car and under the hood periodically for signs of leakage. And keep an eye on the cars operating temperature. When water pumps go out, they can go out fast. Maybe consider keeping a gallon of recommekded coolant in 50/50 mix in the trunk just in case a small leak develops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked with my mechanic for a while. When the headlights are turned on it gets worse as well as a/c. Most likely alternator you guys agree

·
Super Moderator
7,908 Posts
The alternator can be tested. And it can also be determined with a mechanics stethoscope if noise is coming from the generator.

It is possible the alternator is making a whining noise when extra load is applied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I shut the a/c off and are not using my headlights there is no sound maybe barley here and there.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Sounds like the water pump is in the clear for now which is a good thing. We don't want people spending money where they don't have to.
Do like easy st. said and listen into the alternator and have it tested.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I'd say the squealing noise is almost certainly coming from one of the belt driven pulleys. Try using a mechanic's stethoscope or a length of rubber pipe to localize the sound. If it disappears after you start the engine with the drivebelt removed, the next step would be to switch the engine off and spin each pulley manually until you find the culprit.
If it's the water pump, soon it'll begin to leak coolant from the weep hole so don't wait until that happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts