Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH HU in my 2005 convertible, along with some Shelby/Kicker 8" sub-woofers. Thought I'd ask whether anyone else has this unit and whether they've tried the auto EQ function.

My experience is that auto EQ isn't worth the trouble and you can do a better job yourself. Also thought it would be helpful to show what auto EQ did. Basically it killed the back speakers and muddied the sub-woofer.

For those who may struggle finding out how to activate auto EQ, all I can say is it wasn't worth it for me.

Regarding the unit itself ... it's fantastic. Love the bluetooth, handsfree phone support, audio streaming, etc. And the new subs are a definite upgrade to the stock subs --- and yes, I'm using the stock amps. Next on my list are new Pioneer D Series speakers for the front doors...

This pony's beginning to rock...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
USB Plugs and PB brake switch

Thought I'd provide a couple of photos showing the USB plugs I ran from the HU to the console. I used the plastic cover plate for the e-brake adjustment, drilled some holes, and plugged in some panel-mount USBs.

The push button switch is a simple on/off, and enables me to override the p-brake requirement, and turn on the phone dial pad while driving -- also lets passengers view videos, and enables auto EQ without engaging the P-brake. Cost $4.00 instead of $19 some are asking for the one-time relay switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ease of install

That's a great looking unit. How difficult was the install?

Fred
Not bad, Fred. I got the unit from Crutchfield.com, and those guys offer fantastic support. Called them at 9pm CST and spoke to a guy who knew what to do with my particular install. Ford makes it easy to take everything apart, and Crutchfield provided the harness, 12v to 5v reducer (to prevent amp pop), adaptor frame, and complete instructions for panel removal and wiring.

I had to make all the connections between the radio and the supplied harness, but that was just crimping.

The unit instructions were a bit confusing to me regarding wiring the speakers, but I figured that I really did need to connect ALL the speaker wires.

Running the phone mic was easy, and I placed it on top of the steering wheel column (see picture).

This unit makes a big difference in the way the stock speakers sound, but it becomes apparent that the unit can produce much more with better speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
that deck looks sick :bigthumbsup
i recently replaced mine with a single din that has tons of audio controls and after a couple of days with messing with it i got it where i like it. replacing it made a really nice quality upgrade on the sound for mine. im prolly gonna go thru with replacing the rest of the speakers soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it's turned the convertible into a new ride experience, along with the new struts and shocks. I just tell people I've got a new car. At least it feels that way to me...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH HU in my 2005 convertible, along with some Shelby/Kicker 8" sub-woofers. Thought I'd ask whether anyone else has this unit and whether they've tried the auto EQ function.

My experience is that auto EQ isn't worth the trouble and you can do a better job yourself. Also thought it would be helpful to show what auto EQ did. Basically it killed the back speakers and muddied the sub-woofer.

For those who may struggle finding out how to activate auto EQ, all I can say is it wasn't worth it for me.

Regarding the unit itself ... it's fantastic. Love the bluetooth, handsfree phone support, audio streaming, etc. And the new subs are a definite upgrade to the stock subs --- and yes, I'm using the stock amps. Next on my list are new Pioneer D Series speakers for the front doors...

This pony's beginning to rock...
How much your complete pioneer sound system costs you? I am looking to purchase new sound system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much your complete pioneer sound system costs you? I am looking to purchase new sound system.
Eldsskel,

I got the HU from Crutchfield.com (which included Ford harness, bracket, 12v to 5v reducer) for $499.99, free shipping, and great phone support if you need it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts