Ford Mustang Forum banner

2005 ford mustang hard shifting

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Stwarrior23 
#1 ·
So today I changed my oil, oil filter and fuel filter and started my car and everything it was fine put it in reverse and descending off my ramps everything fine no leaks no hard shifting. So about 2 hours later i go for a test drive and when i shift into reverse it like takes a second and then sort of jerks into reverse, i dont think anything of it.

so go for my drive and everything is fine, come home put it in park and then back to reverse and it does it again but never does it for drive. tried it along my drive and seemed fine too.

so i go inside and google it and nothing good comes up and i read something where if you shift to N first then reverse it goes like butter so i did that and yes like butter.
do you think if i do that im doing anymore harm to the tranny or am i prolonging the life on it?

i have the 5r55s tranny it has 90k on it and had 61k i had a tranny fluid change. it never slips gears or anything and gets all scheduled maintenance. i dont really push her that much and as she is getting older im not pushing at all anymore. i dont do 0-60 times anymore and if i do there not as forceful, i might just hit the gas a little quicker then normal to hear her growl. And like i said this is the first time it has ever happened and i didnt really think much of it until i read some horror stories online.

if i just get a tranny fluid change do you think that would solve the problem? they say every 30k im just a little worried i dont have the money for a new tranny.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is great news/great sign that you aren't having issues like slipping or anything in forward gears. As far as reverse if you don't have the issue when you put in N and then R I would do that. That won't cause any harm and is easy on it.

Are you or anybody you know mechanically inclined? In not I would go by a transmission shop and have them take a look. As far as the transmission fluid change and flush there are mixed opinions on this. Take a search around. I would give an opinion, but mine is so mixed I am neutral. ha

#3 ·
Yeah I drove it today and it ran perfect and reverse was like butter so I'm just gonna keep on eye on it.

What's your opinion on the fluid change because I don't think it could hurt and ford recommends at 30k anyway so I feel like I'm just following the directions and maybe it jerked because it needs to be changed?

#5 ·
I had a similar issue on my second trans (was a ford reman unit, btw) failure ( Becoming an expert on these failures.. I've killed four of these in my 06). first, it could be a low fluid issue, but that usually presents with other problems, but worth verifying. second, it could be an issue with the TR (trans Range) sensor, but that usually will usually kick a code. what happened in my trans, ended in a catastrophic failure in the planetary gearset. the only issue leading up to it was a delay going into reverse... eventually the planetary gear set ate itself... the culprit? a .25 snap ring failed, allowing the planetary to shift when going into reverse. hopefully this isn't the issue, it literally chewed the entire trans internals to bits.
something worth looking into, would be to get a factory service manual, and see if there is any info in there that may help.
I would:
verify fluid level,
adjust both the bands,
verify that there aren't any codes (usually trans codes flash the OD light.

been a tech for years, but I'm not a transmission professional, hope the above info helps

#6 ·
Yeah Thanks for the advice like I said there's no codes and since I've mentioned it, it has been shifting like butter and haven't had any problems yet and I've put roughly 1k miles on it.

Like I said I was just gonna get the fluid changed because it can't hurt and they tell you to anyway in the manual.

Also since that little hiccup I've changed all my filters, spark plugs,oil change everything I can change myself I did. Figured also it can't hurt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.