Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 mustang gt a couple weeks ago... Decided it's not fast enough and did a little research on it. I'm wanting to know what the best way to get it to 650-700 hp. I've looked into twin turbo set ups, Superchargers, usual bolt ons like CAI, exhaust, CMCP, intake manifold. Also wondering about beefing up the tranny, what drivelines are good, axle shafts, also wanting to put in 4.10s. Haven't looked into any suspension upgrades yet. Any info/opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
To break 500 flywheel horses, you'll need forged internals. I'd say a Brenspeed B326 stroker with a Roush TVS2300 supercharger with a set of long tube headers and an upgraded clutch would put you well into that range or above while maintaining stock like drivability and reliability.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
For those HP levels you will have to upgrade the engine bottom end to forged internals to start. From there, Superchargers or turbos will get the job done with other supporting mods to the fuel system, suspension, drive shaft, etc.

4:10 gears are a little steep for FI unless you are planning to drag race the car with tall tires (slicks)at the track. For street use I can say first gear is pretty much useless, but pulls like crazy through the other gears.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
Trade it in for a used GT500 is probably the most cost effective way to get into that ballpark.

But why 650-700 HP? Where did that number come from?

If you think ~450 HP at the rear wheels might be "enough for now" then you can just slap on a supercharger (complete kit with intercooler) and call it a day. Over about 450 HP you need to start upgrading everything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you think ~450 HP at the rear wheels might be "enough for now" then you can just slap on a supercharger (complete kit with intercooler) and call it a day. Over about 450 HP you need to start upgrading everything.
What supercharger would you recommend? I've looked into the edelbrock eforce and they seem alright...

I generally race 1/4 to 1/2 miles at a time. Every weekend, and once a year the local car shows have 1/4 drags. My main goal is to beat my friend who has a built srt8 charger.

For the "for now" thing would all the regular bolt ons and the supercharger and the 4.10s suffice? Would it be worth it to do that while I build a separate motor on the side?

I've seen lots of different manufactures for lots of parts. Who makes the best? I know a guy who wants to sell me a hurst short throw and a roush CAI...

I guess I'm looking for lists... First one to be my long term high hp build and one for bolt ons to have a little more fun now.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The Roush TVS2300 is better than the E - Force. Long tube headers, a CAI, tune, and cams will only add about 60-70 horses at the wheels for over half the cost of a Roush blower that'll add over 200 horses.

3.55s are the best gears for the 1/4. Any higher and you'll be having to shift up just before the trap.

Hurst is a terrible short throw on these cars. It's known to cause lockouts near redline. Go with an MGW or Barton shifter. I have a Barton and it's incredible.

If you're wanting to build a motor on the side, I say to slap a set of long tubes and a Roush TVS2300 on it with a Barton short throw. It'll take you from a stock 300 flywheel hp to around 570 flywheel hp. You'll be pushing the stock internals to their limit at that point. You'll also want to beef up the clutch to handle it.

Since you're drag racing, I'd also throw on some BMR lower control arms.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
To break 500 flywheel horses, you'll need forged internals. I'd say a Brenspeed B326 stroker with a Roush TVS2300 supercharger with a set of long tube headers and an upgraded clutch would put you well into that range or above while maintaining stock like drivability and reliability.
Agree with above except I'd suggest a twin-screw Whipple supercharger rather than the Roots-type TVS.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Agree with above except I'd suggest a twin-screw Whipple supercharger rather than the Roots-type TVS.
The old M90 Roushcharger that came on the Stage 3s and 427Rs was a roots, but if I'm not mistaken, the TVS is their new Twin Vortices Series which is a more efficient twin screw design than the Whipple. I may be wrong, but it's definitely worth looking into. Whipple and Roush go on many Mustangs before they leave the dealership for a reason. They're both among the best out there.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
The old M90 Roushcharger that came on the Stage 3s and 427Rs was a roots, but if I'm not mistaken, the TVS is their new Twin Vortices Series which is a more efficient twin screw design than the Whipple. I may be wrong, but it's definitely worth looking into. Whipple and Roush go on many Mustangs before they leave the dealership for a reason. They're both among the best out there.
As I understand it --

TVS is "modified roots", technically not the same as "twin screw" but similar

TVS is said to be better for daily driving because it builds pressure in the manifold; so the bypass valve completely avoids the pressure build and the heat buildup that goes with it. The trade off is they are not as efficient at high load as the twin screw.

Twin screw builds pressure in the SC itself, so it is always creating heat. This can be an issue in a daily driving situation where you are idling around without a lot of airflow and cooling capacity. I guess they can heat soak in some situations.

For ultimate performance the twin screw is probably better; for mixed daily driving and performance the TVS is probably more practical.

Disclaimer: that's just my basic understanding and I could be wrong!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've always been a huge fan of the whipples... I once read about a built 383 stroker running 10:1 and they slapped a whipple on it and it came out 727 hp or something like that.

I found a whipple kit that seems mostly complete.... If I buy this what else might I need? Are there any other bolt ons that would be helpful?
2005-2010 Mustang GT Whipple W140AX 500hp Supercharger Kit (Black) WK-2007

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That should be everything other than a beefed up clutch. Keep in mind that system will dyno out around 440-450 rwhp when added to a stock GT. Long tube headers will compliment it, but you can't do much of anything more without forged internals.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The whipple kit is pretty complete. It'll have just about everything you'll need. I think the only extras I had to buy were coolant, different lower manifold rings, and spark plugs (2009). There are extra goodies you can/should buy....boost gauge...wide band air/fuel...gauge pod. Ultimately, you need to figure out your goals before you start buying everything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know the Mustang crowd loves the manifold mounted blowers, and so do I. One option to consider... You can get all the horsepower your internals can handle with a centrifugal and an intercooler.

The installation is simpler, especially if you go with a ProCharger that has its own oil supply. Also, charge temperatures are lower with the air to air, which protects the overstressed internals and adds power. Typical power levels are 460rwhp for the kits.

You can spend all the extra time you'll save on the motor you're building on the side.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I had a Saleen supercharger but if I did it again it would be the Roush TVS. The TVS as mentioned seems to run cooler. But Whipple is an awesome kit too.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I can set you up with a good deal on a ProCharger, and the proper suspension and tires to HOOK all of that extra horsepower. Just give us a call at 561.588.6630. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts