Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys and gals, can you help me out? I'm looking replaced my 2005 V6 with 235,000 miles on it, what a good car it's been to me. I found a 2005 Mustang GT with low miles (4,592), which is rare to find one with that low of miles. I believe it, clean as can be, I looked it over real well and pulled a car fax, everything seem legit. I know car faxes can't be relied 100%, but it looks like new car, no body work, undercarriage has no dirt, let alone any rust, also rare for Michigan. Ok, on to my dilemma. It has a trans noise, it's a 5 speed manual and it makes a sound like a bad throw out bearing. However, when press in the clutch the sound doesn't change, My V6 used to make a similar sound like that (not as loud), but it went away when I had the clutch and throw out bearing replaced. The noise is like scraping / light grinding sound when idling, it doesn't change when the engine is rev'ed when sitting, it does change with vehicle speed. I see there is a TBS (TSB 05-8-8) out on early Mustang GTs for something similar to this. The fix is to replace the reverse gear and the synchronizer or if metal shaving are found to replace the trans. So either one is not cheap. The build date would help, but all I have is the VIN, I tried the VIN decoders but it really doesn't tell the date. The TSB says trans before the 1/15/2005 may have this problem. So any help with build date or other ideas to what it is would be would be helpful. I have not purchased this car yet, but mostly likely will. I apologize for the long post.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Since it's done a lot of sitting, I'd inspect all rubber for dry rotting, such as the clutch, brake, and vacuum line components. Aside from that, I'd change the transmission fluid to 3.2 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh. If a clutch line and fluid change don't solve it, the TSB would be my best guess. Good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, most of the rubber looks good, but I didn't inspect everything. I did call him back and based on the window sticker it was build a month after the TSB, which says "Vehicles before 1-15-05, he said the window sticker said 2-18-05. Good ideas on changing the fluid and clutch cable. I'll look for anything funny when I change the fluid, metal shaving, etc. For cable sticking; may be it's that, because it sounds a lot like a bad throw out bearing constantly being engaged (which it shouldn't be), but with a stuck cable who knows maybe. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good ideas on changing the fluid and clutch cable. I'll look for anything funny when I change the fluid, metal shaving, etc. For cable sticking; may be it's that, because it sounds a lot like a bad throw out bearing constantly being engaged (which it shouldn't be), but with a stuck cable who knows maybe.
The S197 manual transmission is a hydraulic system, so there is not a clutch cable to change out.

A good portion of the hydraulic line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder (inside the transmission) is a rubber hose that can bulge leading to less clutch "throwout". This line can be replaced with a braided/solid line, if this is found to be the case.

There is also a transmission separator plate issue that could be the cause of the noise. TSB 09-18-16 4.6L Manual Transmission Separator Plate Buzz Built Before 4_5_2009.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/171393-metallic-noise-when-engine-cold.html

As for the build date, you can confirm when the car was assembled by reading the driver's inside door frame for the build date (it is on the sticker where you find the tire pressure specification).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you that was very helpful. I had a vapor lock with the "clutch cable", there isn't one and I know that, I must of not been running on all 8 cylinders, but I will be soon! Seeing those pics in that thread makes sense, it seems more like a grinding sound then anything else. Thanks again, still sounds like it will be expensive, but still cheaper then the rebuilding the whole trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts