Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2005 Mustang GT a couple weeks ago and started noticing a strange metal on metal type sound while accelerating sometimes... my buddy heard it tonight and he has no clue what to think of either.. The two of us are usually pretty good at diagnosing an issue and his only response was "no ****ing clue, maybe I will think of something by tomorrow".

Anyway, this sound only seems to happen shortly after starting the car for the first time in a few hours and it only happens for a split second each time it does occur. I got it this evening leaving my house at about 7:30 or 8. I just got it again leaving my friends house after the car had been sitting for about 3.5 hours. I get it when leaving work in the evening, etc.... but it has never happened after I have been driving for a while, if it happens once at the beginning of a drive it won't happen again until the car sits for a while and if it doesn't happen at the beginning of a drive (within the first couple times I accelerate) it won't happen at all... it's always during the first or maybe 2nd 'real' acceleration of a drive (first time reving it up beyond maybe 2.5k(ish) RPMs)

Probably the place where I heard the sound most reliably is pulling onto the on ramp to the highway (which is just outside of my work parking lot, and the on ramp turns right). I drove around the work parking lot (at low RPM) today before leaving to see if maybe spinning the engine/transmission up a bit at low RPMs would alleviate the problem and still got the sound as I accelerated onto the on ramp. When I heard it earlier this evening I was accelerating out of my street and had just crossed over a place where the pavement level changes and there's a small drop off... the sound happened right as it dropped off. Starting to wonder if it's some combination of something thats spinning coupled with suspension movement.

It sounds like some weird quick metal on metal contact.. almost sounds like the driveshaft making very brief contact with the exhaust... that type of sound. A somewhat high pitched, tinney (sp?), hollow scraping sound.

I am going to keep searching in case anyone else has had this issue but figured I would come to you folks first. I will be putting the car up on ramps/jackstands tomorrow to see if I can find any strange wear patters on the exhaust or whatever but was hoping someone else may have heard this before and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help, this is the last thing I wanted to face in a 'new' car :sosad: I mean, other than this sound and a slight vibe at 80mph(ish) it's running fine so I'm hoping this isn't a big problem... I just want to get this addressed in case it's some internal engine/transmission problem.

S

·
0 Posts
With only hearing the sound at startup and for a little bit I would have thought the dust cover on the transmission. I'm not so sure that would be the case though with the discription of the sound you said. I hate having to describe sounds. If it is the dustcover I would not worry about it. Do a search for dustcover making noises or something and see if it comes in alignment with your problem. I say eliminate this possibility first since it's not really a problem and costs nothing since you don't really need to fix it. So you bought the car recently from a person or a dealership? Does it have any mods? If you press the clutch in when the noise starts will it go away? You need to put it on a rack and look underneath like you were talking about. Start narrowing out possibilities.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With only hearing the sound at startup and for a little bit I would have thought the dust cover on the transmission. I'm not so sure that would be the case though with the discription of the sound you said. I hate having to describe sounds. If it is the dustcover I would not worry about it. Do a search for dustcover making noises or something and see if it comes in alignment with your problem. I say eliminate this possibility first since it's not really a problem and costs nothing since you don't really need to fix it. So you bought the car recently from a person or a dealership? Does it have any mods? If you press the clutch in when the noise starts will it go away? You need to put it on a rack and look underneath like you were talking about. Start narrowing out possibilities.
Thanks, will search for the dust cover.

Bought the car about 2 weeks ago from a Dodge dealership, completely stock.

And there's no time to push the clutch in while this is happening.. as I mentioned it only happens for a split second

edit: and just did some quick reading on the noise and I suppose that is a possibility. The only difference is that the dust cover problem seems to occur for a while at start up while mine happens once for a split second while accelerating... though maybe mine is just starting to exhibit this issue and it will get worse over time (or as the temperature gets cooler out later this year). Will get the car up on jackstands today and see if I can find anything but that definitely sounds like a possibility.

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah split second doesn't sound like dust cover. Could be a lot of things man. Sorry I can't help you more. There are a lot better mech/techs here than me. I'm sure someone can give you something better. Good luck though.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, thanks for the help. I mean it could be the dust shield... every other symptom from people who have had the dust shield issue sounds exactly like my problem. Only difference is that mine occurs momentarily rather than for an extended period of time.

Everything else: only at cold, at around 2000-3000 RPMs, goes away (wont happen) if warmed up, oil can type sound, tinnie, etc all sound like they describe my problem. Hopefully that's it my problem... will keep checking in though in case someone else has something to add and/or I will post my results when/if I find and fix it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW: I got it to reproduce earlier. It happened a few times at 3k RPMs in first gear but ONLY at 3k. After I got to my friends place and left again it stopped making the sound so it seemed 'warming up' helped out... going to keep listening and see if it changes over time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah I'd guess the dust cover also, I had this same thing and the way I dealt with it was putting aluminum stuffing behind the dust cover, I wish I cold remember where I came across that stuff because it solved it and has been perfect ever since. Think Brillo pads stuffed up behind it. BUT NOT BRILLO PADS as they will eventually rust on you. it was some kinda aluminum batting material or something similar I'm sure you can get creative with it. Someone has to have an idea Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have an aftermarket exhaust on mine and mine rubs up against a couple things so I just went and grabbed some exhaust wrap and went crazy with it :bigthumbsup no more noise for me.

Edit: I wrapped where it look like it could be hitting something

1 - 8 of 8 Posts