Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm thinking a little bit ahead right now but this could all happen in the near future and it's been on my mind so I figured might as well ask you guys about it.

Right now I have an 05 GT that I love to death, it's my favourite car and I've wanted one since they came out. But, seeing these new GTs with the 5.0, I could see myself enjoying that car easily as much if not more, especially with the new engine and other tweaks. But, up here in Canada the car is about 40 grand new, which is a lot of coin.

So, which do you guys think I'd be better off doing, putting some money into the 05, spicing it up a bit, and probably ending up with a better performing car at least in some areas, or fork out the dough for a brand new car?

Also, for the people who have modded 05s before, what do you think are the best mods to start with? I'd prefer not to just drop a blower on the engine because I've heard it puts a lot of stress on it especially if it's stock. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe just wait for the 2014s? Might as well save up the money you'd put into your 05 into a new car in a few years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not a bad idea. Only problem though is that I'm really picky about new stuff, so I probably wouldn't want to mess around with a new car too much. Hell I wouldn't even want to drive it all that often, at least not during bad weather or the winter. With the current 05 I don't mind beating it up or changing it a bit because it's already worn in and it doesn't feel like a brand new car I want to keep in pristine condition.

So, unless I change my mind, modding a brand new car is sort of out of the question.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've got an 05 GT now that I'm trading in for a 12 5.0. I love the new models and the 5.0 engine is great, so I didn't have to think about the decision too long.

I know I love the '12's, so there's no reason for me to wait until 2014 when I may not like the design and/or it having a smaller engine in the car.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What kind of mods are you thinking about?

To get your car to run with the 5.0s you will need every bolt on known to mankind. Or get a s/c for $6-7K.

To get to 350rwhp N/A (which is less than the new 5.0) you will need to spend in the neighborhood of $4000+$4500+.

So I wouldn't say it's going to be better performing than the 5.0 unless you go with a s/c.

With a cold air intake and a tune and 3.73 gears the new 5.0 is an F'ing monster! It will have as much rwhp as some smaller s/c kits will get your 4.6.

However, if you wanna throw a fat blower on there, well big boost is the great equalizer.

If you have the money, go with the 11 5.0. It's a better quality vehicle. Ford has had 6 years to improve upon the 05 model. Better engine, 6spd trans, 412+HP/390+TQ with the same or better mpg, dohc, it's superior in every way except for looks but that's just a personal preference. I'd gladly trade mine for any 5.0 out there:laugh:

Another couple years and I'll find one with low miles for a price:winks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is true Oak, the car really is in another league, and if I'm not mistaken it outperforms everything in its price range. With a few additions it would probably be running with Z06s. I'm definitely starting to lean towards the newer stangs...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That is true Oak, the car really is in another league, and if I'm not mistaken it outperforms everything in its price range. With a few additions it would probably be running with Z06s. I'm definitely starting to lean towards the newer stangs...
Maybe an older Z06...

To the op,

Have you test driven a new 5.0?
Most will agree it's worlds better than the last gen.

The motor seems to be solid. There have been complaints about the manual. I haven't had any problems with mine. If your really worried, it's under warranty or you could just get an auto.
If I were going to do it over I would have gotten the brembo package and 3.73's. It's a great bargain.
My biggest complaint overall is the throttle response and it could use a little more lower end.
As long as your not upside down in payments on your 07 you should go for it!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Maybe an older Z06...

To the op,

Have you test driven a new 5.0?
Most will agree it's worlds better than the last gen.

The motor seems to be solid. There have been complaints about the manual. I haven't had any problems with mine. If your really worried, it's under warranty or you could just get an auto.
If I were going to do it over I would have gotten the brembo package and 3.73's. It's a great bargain.
My biggest complaint overall is the throttle response and it could use a little more lower end.
As long as your not upside down in payments on your 07 you should go for it!

You can fix that throttle response problem with a cold air intake and a tune:bigthumbsup You get those (easy to take off when going for warranty work) and you will unleash the beast that comes out at about 3500rpm now.

Comparing the old 4.6 and the new 5.0 is like apples and oranges. They're not even in the same league! I love my 4.6 with my mods, but I wouldn't try to run a new 5.0. I have stayed right with the new Camaro SS though, he got me by maybe a 1/4 car length.

Go with the 5.0. Like I said, it's just a wayyyy better vehicle, and you will have a nice juicy warranty:bigthumbsup. Oh and I'm jealous:laugh:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd have to agree with most of the replies, the 5.0 is incredible. I took it on a small trip a couple of weeks ago, hit 7000 rpms a number of times, and still got 29+ mpg (Canadian), and that's with less then 2000 kms on the car. Ford did an awesome job with the new Mustang!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.