Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone just wanted to get some opinions

the Head gasket on my 2005 Mustang is starting to go out. Overal the car is very sound and still looks good. its a V6 convertible, could go with new/bettter Brakes , struts and shock..

for Todays question, what is the smarter decision. Change head gasket, put in an already rebuitt engine of the same engine. of is there a new engine model that could be swapped in as is..
the current Price I have been give on the repair in 2000.00 to 2500.00.

I figure maybe a few have already considered this question with results to share.. thanks everyone

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,373 Posts
If it's just head gasket I have a hard time believing that it would cost $2000+ to repair. I was given a price of $800 for a head gasket job on the same 4.0 v6 that you have around 6 years ago. Get a second opinion and don't share the price you were given with the new shop so that they don't try to come in just under that price.
Forget about putting in another kind of engine as that's not practical, cheap, or realistic. Just get the head gasket fixed at a different shop. Even the Ford dealer should be around $1000.

·
Diehard Ford-Fan Custom Audio Guru
‘05 V6 Windveil Blue
1,364 Posts

·
Registered
05 GT Premium, satin silver over red. Vortech Si-trim @ 9 psi.
427 Posts
How many miles on the engine? The convoluted cam drive on the SOHC 4.0 has taken out some relatively low mileage engines (worse on engines built before the '04 revision). Hate to see you dump a bunch of money into it just to have another failure.

·
Tech Advisor
2006 Mustang GT
4,110 Posts
Hello everyone just wanted to get some opinions

the Head gasket on my 2005 Mustang is starting to go out. Overal the car is very sound and still looks good. its a V6 convertible, could go with new/bettter Brakes , struts and shock..

for Todays question, what is the smarter decision. Change head gasket, put in an already rebuitt engine of the same engine. of is there a new engine model that could be swapped in as is..
the current Price I have been give on the repair in 2000.00 to 2500.00.

I figure maybe a few have already considered this question with results to share.. thanks everyone
The smartest decision is to replace the leaking head gasket and find the root cause of the leak e.g. clogged radiator, stuck thermostat.

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,373 Posts
The thing is your invoice has extras and over charges. There's about $255 in parts that aren't for a head gasket, $50 in head bolts for the second head, $85 for milling the heads which isn't usually necessary, almost $100 for testing the cooling system with leak fluid, and another few hundred $ for the labor on the second head. That's probably about $700-$800 so far. Plus, the head gasket set that they priced on there is double the normal pricing as are the bolts which is another $150-$200. So that's at least $850-$950 extra over the minimum expected amount. We'll call it $900 so that's a realistic amount of $1025 for a single head gasket without any of that other stuff on there.
The shop that I used back then had tested for compression already($80) and then quoted me $800 for the passenger side head gasket replacement. $880 + 6 years inflation is about the $1000 or so that I was guessing.

·
Tech Advisor
2006 Mustang GT
4,110 Posts
They shouldn't charge you for milling the heads unless they take the affected head off and confirm that there's warpage. If that proves to be the case, the other head is also likely to be warped and that would justify the additional expenses for milling them and using new head bolts (if TTY).
Head gasket sets come with a pair of gaskets for a Vee engine so if you only use one, you'll just keep the other as a spare.
They also don't need expensive leak fluid to test the head gasket. A simple pressure test would suffice and if it drops, all they have to do is stick a borescope in each cylinder to find out which one has coolant. They could also pull the dipstick to check if the oil looks like chocolate milkshake, and test the coolant for combustion gases with a blue colour indicator (turns yellow if present) while the engine's running.

·
Diehard Ford-Fan Custom Audio Guru
‘05 V6 Windveil Blue
1,364 Posts
Well, [poop].......the only thing that makes me feel a little better then is that the previous owner split the cost with me and took his half out of the cost for the car. Still annoying that there was extra work done.

Either way, @srgeringer , there is a cost breakdown for you in my bill

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know the 3.8 six was very long lived, but I also drive conservatively. I wonder if the engine needs replacement at all- maybe it will go another 100K - I think mine would have easily gone 300,000 if I hadn't accidentally overheated it due to a bad electric fan, causing the rad hose to blow right next to the bandaged part (just to get home) - gauge never read "hot" but I was told it doesn't have too if it loosed enough coolant - had my engine rebuilt professionally at about 200,000 due to this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts