Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had left cylinder head failure yet? 34,000 miles in 4.5 years and major failure. .Not happy. Looking for upgrade heasds, cams etc. Any advice or simular stories? :headscratch:

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Welcome aboard! First I've heard of a cylinder head failure. Usually it's the bottom end that lets go. Any idea what caused it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone had left cylinder head failure yet? 34,000 miles in 4.5 years and major failure. .Not happy. Looking for upgrade heasds, cams etc. Any advice or simular stories? :headscratch:
It happened on engine start up one morning. uncetain why DTC code was po303

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 15.000 I installed JLTcai with sct tune and never had any problems. That would be my only tune mod. I did install Ford racing headers (shortys) and slp mufflers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
po303 code came up as failed #3 coil. Replaced all spark plugs and #3 coil as recommended, but no improvement. Compression check proved my worse fear. Turns out Ford offers all replacement parts in kit for this problem but doesn't admit to problem existing !!??

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
hey Sieg,
were there any audible warnings in the days or weeks leading up to that morning start up valve failure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Brent05,
No noises, but there was a misfire/ rough running moment the night before. I'm certain the valve seat failed. Never know till it gets taken apart. Other than this the car is great, Done all the typical upgrades,FRPP susp. Tri-Axe shifter, jlt cai, sct tune, FRPP headers ,slp mufflers, Enkie 20" x 9" w/ Yokohama S drives, nice tires by the way, great ride, incredible traction I'll post pictures when I figure out this site. Glad I found it, Thanks for all your imput/ intrest
:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not an oil problem, Car at dealership, still under warranty, waiting to hear what is really up. the ford factory rep is coming out to inspect damage and determine if warrany covers issue.:scratchchin

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Not an oil problem, Car at dealership, still under warranty, waiting to hear what is really up. the ford factory rep is coming out to inspect damage and determine if warrany covers issue.:scratchchin
We'll keep our fingers crossed!

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
You can be sure if it happened to 5 people on the planet it would be considered a “common problem”. A big downside to forums is that any issue with any consumer product will get blown WAY out of proportion. I the “old days” 50 cars could have the same problem and it would never make it to the level of “common problem” because firstly 50 incidents don’t make for a common problem and secondly there were no forums for all 50 people (an incredibly small percentage of the market considering the 5.4L 3v F-150 motors are the same) to get on and complain about it.

Rest assured something strange happened. If it was a weak point in the engine design there would be an endless amount of information about it.

If you play your cards right (I.E. don’t be a **** about anything regarding the repair, timetable, Ford rep, etc) and there is enough damage done to require the head and or cam be replaced you may be able to talk the Service Manager into replacing the OEM parts with FRPP stuff if you pick up the difference (for the other bank of cylinders). When I owned my dealership (a motorcycle dealership) and something in a motor let go and it was a warranty job the motors ALWAYS went back together with the “good stuff” and the customer in most cases didn’t need to come out of pocket very much to make up the difference and came away with a massive performance upgrade.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
You can be sure if it happened to 5 people on the planet it would be considered a “common problem”. A big downside to forums is that any issue with any consumer product will get blown WAY out of proportion. I the “old days” 50 cars could have the same problem and it would never make it to the level of “common problem” because firstly 50 incidents don’t make for a common problem and secondly there were no forums for all 50 people (an incredibly small percentage of the market considering the 5.4L 3v F-150 motors are the same) to get on and complain about it.

Rest assured something strange happened. If it was a weak point in the engine design there would be an endless amount of information about it.

If you play your cards right (I.E. don’t be a **** about anything regarding the repair, timetable, Ford rep, etc) and there is enough damage done to require the head and or cam be replaced you may be able to talk the Service Manager into replacing the OEM parts with FRPP stuff if you pick up the difference (for the other bank of cylinders). When I owned my dealership (a motorcycle dealership) and something in a motor let go and it was a warranty job the motors ALWAYS went back together with the “good stuff” and the customer in most cases didn’t need to come out of pocket very much to make up the difference and came away with a massive performance upgrade.
Yep that is the way to do it. I had ford racing gears put in mine instead of stockers. To go with better parts is always nice. Do not go in with any aftermarket parts on the car or tune.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks. all great advice. problem turned out to be seized roller on rocker on #3 exhaust valve,flattened camlobe. Dealer said they have been seeing this problem on 5.4 F-150,s. Dealer is being real cool, not holding my aftermarket installs against me. Only wanted to see oil change records, which I had.:D

·
Registered
769 Posts
Roller

any ideas on what causes this, dealer is uncertain:headscratch:
More than likely there isn't a difinitive answear for this.:headscratch: When you consider that there are 24 rollers in every 3 valve engine built since its inception in 04 (something like 100000 engines?) Thats only like 2 million or so. There is bound to be a failure or two. Yours is the first I have heard about. I know this doesn't make you feel any better but at least Ford is picking up the bill:). Did they give you something cool to drive while they fix it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.