Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to post this in the Audio forum but I am referring to 2005+ only and thought I would get more input from here.

While I have always considered myself a car and home stereo audiophile....I still want some opinions.

I used to have major aftermarket systems installed in my cars in the past. On the order of 4000.00 - 5000.00 systems. But since factory equipment has greatly improved in the past decade, I have found it not cost effective to go with such an elaborate aftermarket system anymore.

So I am looking for an inexpensive and quick upgrade to the stock speakers. Listening to them in the store doesn't mean they will sound the same in car, I know that from experience. So if anyone has swapped out just the stock speakers let me know which speakers you moved into and let me know what you think of them. Tell me what the characteristics of the sound is after the change.

I'm looking for an inexpensive speaker that is efficient (at least 91 db for sensitivity). I also prefer a soft dome tweeter to a metallic or titanium tweeter because I don't want overly bright high frequencies. Smooth and detailed is what I am after.

I realized I wanted to upgrade when I started listening to older music where there is less low end and the high frequencies can sound shrill on the stock speakers.

One set I had my eye on was the Infinity Reference 6822cf. Does anyone have those or any other Infinity's ?

I just hope this doesn't open a Pandora's Box for me because I am like a kid in a candy store when it comes to car audio.....lol.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Hey fuzzy! I honestly can add pretty much nothing to your question, I'm not going to lie. I know basically nothing about car electronics... So I'm listening in to here some responses as well.

But

What I can tell you is in my search for information (which I never actually found... DOH!) on car speakers, I discovered that Infinity is a high quality brand with excellent products and reviews, according to many other Mustang owners. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey fuzzy! I honestly can add pretty much nothing to your question, I'm not going to lie. I know basically nothing about car electronics... So I'm listening in to here some responses as well.

But

What I can tell you is in my search for information (which I never actually found... DOH!) on car speakers, I discovered that Infinity is a high quality brand with excellent products and reviews, according to many other Mustang owners. :bigthumbsup
Hi Preston.....yes I remember from some posts in the past that some people dropped some Infinity's in and they were pretty pleased. I've had a lot of Boston Acoustics speakers as well and have always liked those.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nobody has just swapped out the speakers ? I thought I would get a bunch of input on this....

·
Registered
383 Posts
You're not going to truely enjoy Infinity speakers with the stock head unit, but Infinity is the best route to go. They make great speakers at a great price. I replaced all my speakers with Infinity speakers (doors, door subs, rear).... I also added an Infinity center channel speaker and infinity tweeters mounted in the seat and rear headliner for surrounds.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're not going to truely enjoy Infinity speakers with the stock head unit, but Infinity is the best route to go. They make great speakers at a great price. I replaced all my speakers with Infinity speakers (doors, door subs, rear).... I also added an Infinity center channel speaker and infinity tweeters mounted in the seat and rear headliner for surrounds.
While not a top shelf amp the stock head unit has enough power to drive most aftermarket speakers that aren't component speakers. Of course a top of the line outboard amp would improve the sound even more, but I am looking for a quick an inexpensive upgrade to improve the sound quality.

If I were going with a more elaborate system I would get an outboard 5 channel amp, go with 4 component speakers and an enclosed subwoofer at minimum. But if I were to do that I would go even more overboard....I know me and car audio....lol

But you are not the first to tout the sound characteristics of Infinity speakers. I am also looking at Polk and Boston Acoustics as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a guy in my club that swapped to all memphis with a pioneer navi unit. It is extremely clear and he went with tens instead of twelves, so its tight and very clean. I think just his stock swapped only put him back 1200 for speakers another grand for the navi. :bigthumbsup

I want the new my color JVC head unit so I can do the triple gauge set abouve the unit, and I am definiley switching my stocks and adding a single Rockford 12. I'm leaning towards memphis myself though.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a guy in my club that swapped to all memphis with a pioneer navi unit. It is extremely clear and he went with tens instead of twelves, so its tight and very clean. I think just his stock swapped only put him back 1200 for speakers another grand for the navi. :bigthumbsup

I want the new my color JVC head unit so I can do the triple gauge set abouve the unit, and I am definiley switching my stocks and adding a single Rockford 12. I'm leaning towards memphis myself though.
I will be checking in far below 1200.00 for speakers....lol. But I am not adding any subs either. This is going to be quick and dirty...I am content with the Shaker 500 as it is configured, it's not bad as many stock systems go. Just that the speakers can sound a little shrill on older material where recording technology is not what is today.

So if I can drop in 2 speakers, or all 4, that will smooth out the high frequencies (and I think almost any aftermarket speaker will do that), I will be a happy camper.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm proud to say this or embarrased, but the Shaker 500 sounds great to me!?:headscratch::scratchchin I turn 31 this month and have had top end audio equipment in all of my cars and would consider my knowledge and passion for car audio "above average". Actually sitting on my floor in my room right now is a set of MB Quart Q component speakers w/x-overs, 2 500w Rockford amps, a 12" square Kicker Solobaric sub, all Rockford wires (0 gauge power, 2 gauge amp, 12 gauge component), distribution block, fuse block..... basically everything for a system minus a H/U, everything was taken out of my previous car after it had the front end smashed in.:so Now I have owned my 'Stang almost a year and have not felt the want or need to install all of this stuff! Maybe it's my ears getting older, but I listen to a wide variety of music and everything sounds good on the 500. Don't get me wrong though, you're not gonna win any sound competitions or SPL contests with it and no,everyone won't hear you pounding from 3 blocks away(though I did go to a friends the other day and he asked me if I installed my sub, he could hear me coming:hihi:), and it can definitely be improved, but it's damn good for a stock audio system, good enough for me to not need any of my aftermarket stuff. The only thing I'm gonna change is the H/U, if I could only figure out what wiring harness I need, evryone I talk to and everywhere I go says a different thing, it actually pisses me off, never seen a car that the H/U wiring harness was soooo hard to find. Even Metra's website lists about 5 different ones :headscratch::headscratch: so I'm almost to the point of giving up on the H/U. So that's my take on the Shaker 500, and Fuzzy, I've had Boston's, IMHO, the MB's are way clearer and precise sounding with high's that will make your ear drums beg for mercy, especially when you throw some power at them, just my opinion though!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I believe I found the speakers. I just got back from a car audio store in town and took a listen to the Infinity Reference. Sounds like what I am looking for....smooth and detailed high frequencies and not overly bright.

The guy that owns the store is a big Mustang guy and has done a lot of installs in Mustangs and says he has sold a lot of the Infinity's for Mustangs and for Ford trucks.

And for those of you who think the Shaker 500 is a very good system, you are not off base because he told me the electronics are manufactured by JBL....so it's certainly not junk. The speakers of the Shaker 500 sound like they are the weak link....unless you are looking for a major system upgrade.

The Infinity Reference speakers are very efficient (93db sensitivity) so I shouldn't lose any SPLs by swapping out speakers. And the price is very reasonable....around 350.00 for 4 speakers and installation.

This is a whim.....but I think I am going to pull the trigger on this...

I just hope it doesn't get me going on car audio again where I start getting outboard amps, new head unit, new subs, etc....for me car audio is like potato chips, once I eat one it's hard to stop....lol

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn.....they have those Infinity's in stock and they can actually install them today...

Should I be this spontaneous ?? lol

·
Registered
13,170 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Damn.....they have those Infinity's in stock and they can actually install them today...

Should I be this spontaneous ?? lol
Do it!! I think you would be nuts not too! This is what i want to do eventually. =).
All you have to do is have self control and not go overboard- i can do it, well partially because i am broke and don't have money to just spend.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Fuzzy, take a look at my sig, I have ifinitie's all around (except for the Blaupunkt's I put at the bottom)
After having them in for awhile, they seem a little harsh in the upper range, so I just ordered these guys for the front to try out. JL Audio C2-570X Evolution™ Series 5" x 7" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6"x8" openings at Crutchfield.com
Hey PC.....well I did it....just dropped the car off to have the Infinity installed. These are 5x7's that Infinity just came out with and I gave them a good listen with all different kinds of material. I did an A/B comparison against some Alpines that were on the board and the Infinity's were definitely smoother on the high frequency with no trace of harshness.

Do you have the Infinity Reference or Kappa series ? That could make a difference. Also, most Infinity's have a tweeter level control that can be set. It should be set at the reference standard of +0db but can be adjusted to +3db to make the speakers sound brighter. If your Inifinity's sound harsh you should check if the tweeter level is set to the +3db setting.

I did this because I recently started listening to some older material and the stock speakers are definitely too harsh sounding for some of the stuff recorded in the 70s and 80s. These Infinity's have to be far smoother on the high end than the stock speakers....

Also I wanted to make sure that I got an efficient speaker so I don't lose any SPLs. The JL Audio speakers have a sensitivity of 90db and the Infinity's are 93db. 3db may not sound like a lot, but you actually have to double your amp power to get 3db more of SPL. So with less efficient speakers you need more power to have the volume levels remain the same.

Yes....this is truly a spontaneous mod.....lol

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I have the reference ones in the front and those are the ones that are talked about in the audio section as a bit harsh.
I could always swap them with the Kappa I have in the rears. :scratchchin

I hope the ones you got are what you expected :bigthumbsup
I bought some software last year to convert older recordings to MP3 format.
Very nice to have.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread, cuz I'm curious if anyone has heard these and know if they are any good. I have Polk speakers on my HT setup (RtiA7's) and they are great. The frequency response is rated a lot lower than the Blaupunkt's and other stuff I have seen in this thread or elsewhere online-but they are pricier and that's fine with me. I want quality low end, not quantity so I don't want a sub and besides, I want to keep my trunk space.

Polk Audio - Mobile Monitor Series - Mobile / Marie Speakers

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I personally like Focal. Think they have a nice smooth sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.