Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I paint my set of headers? Or will the heat just destroy the paint? I would like to do this so they won't rust.

G

·
if you prep them by getting all the current rust and such, most auto parts stores sell paint that will go on the headers np. Some of the paint goes up to 2000 degrees.

You can also get them coated. There are quite a few different coatings on the market.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you can paint them but it will just burn off kind of soon atleast thats what happend to me (and i used high temp paint too)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
DupliColor (available a couple of places, including Ace and WalMart) makes high heat "paint" in a variety of colors. I used it on my exhaust pipes and had no problem with it coming off. However, the application for them (and DupliColor recommends at least 2 coats) was probably a LOT easier than it would be for headers.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
DupliColor (available a couple of places, including Ace and WalMart) makes high heat "paint" in a variety of colors. I used it on my exhaust pipes and had no problem with it coming off. However, the application for them (and DupliColor recommends at least 2 coats) was probably a LOT easier than it would be for headers.
Who cares … love the avatar:D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I'd go with a high temp primer and hi temp paint. Like said above, Dupli-color makes both and they should be available at your local car parts store (Autozone, Kragen, PepBoys, etc.). You may not be able to get some sort of special color, but if all you are wanting to do is prevent rust, this should be a solid bet. Those 2000* temps are tested under short periods, so the underhood temp of your car should easily allow the paint to hold up for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Actually, when I went in Autozone had a wide variety of colors if you can't find them elsewhere and want them now as opposed to ordering online.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you can paint them but it will just burn off kind of soon atleast thats what happend to me (and i used high temp paint too)
ya i have shorty headers

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Obviously it would've been easier to do it before installation but I don't know of any reason why you couldn't do it now except that it'll be more of a PITA to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.