Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Spain and have a Mustang 2005 4Litre V6 which I imported from the US from new. My son recently borrowed the car for a couple of weeks and allowed it to overheat....great!!

Whilst driving he suddenly noticed the temp gauge on maximum pulled over immediately and stopped the engine. When he checked the water it was very very low. We then filled up the radiator with water again after letting it cool and it seemed to work fine.

However, since then the temperature gauge is very temperemental and sometimes it does not work at all and other times it creeps up whilst driving to maximum temperature even though the engine is not actually overheating. Also, recently the rev counter will not register more than 2000 revs even when the revs are clearly exceeding this. I'm not sure whether all of this is related to my son's overheating incident or if it is just a coinicidence.

I have taken the car to several mechanics and they have confirmed that the engine itself is fine and unaffected by the overheating however they cannot seem to solve the problem as in Spain although Mustangs are headturners there are few garages that have ever seen one before let alone worked on one.

I found a mechanic 6 hours away from here who claimed to have experience with Mustangs. He has now replaced the thermostat and the temperature sensor and still not solved the problem. They are now saying that it can only be solved by replacing the whole cluster (ie. all the dials and gauges) and here in Spain want to charge me 1,000 euros (approx. 1,540 dollars) for parts and labour.

Before I go spending more money on the advice of someone who is not a Mustang expert, I wondered if anyone is familiar with this problem and can suggest a solution.

As you can see from my explanation my knowledge of mechnics is non-existent so a clear and simple explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post!!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
welcome to the forums. over heating can be a very serious problem if not caught soon enough. if it lost coolant and overheated, there is a leak somewhere. that doesnt just happen otherwise. could be as simple as a hose clamp, but i would suspect the thermostat housing is cracked.( there is a post in the stickys at the top of this page on housing replacement) he should have replaced that with the thermostat just to be on the safe side. they are plastic and get brittle from the heat. replacing the sensor was a good idea too, and a must if you replace the housing. if the coolant is low, the temp gauge will not read accurate. you need to find the leak, thats a must.

as far as the cluster, thats another issue. there is a post in the stickys for upgrading to a mycolor, or you could probably get a factory 4 gauge cluster for a much better price than what you were quoted. ( from the same dealer in the sticky post)but i would first try to replace the stepper motors in the cluster that make the guages work. 7-8.00 u.s. per gauge. if that fails, then look into a new cluster. heres a couple links to get you near the stepper you need, you might have to look and dig a little from ebay
05 FORD MUSTANG STEPPER MOTOR CLUSTER Motor: eBay Motors (item 280520266344 end time Jul-12-10 07:56:45 PDT)

New Gen 4 X25 589 stepper motors for Ford mustang: eBay Motors (item 260621917910 end time Jul-18-10 06:53:17 PDT)

and here is a article that i think star came up with for instructions how to do it
Stepper Motor Replacement for the S197 Instrument Pack

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Welcome to the forums from a fellow European Mustang. I feel your pain on the pricings...

·
Registered
465 Posts
The problems you are having are due to bad stepper motors in the 2005 gauge cluster. These little plastic motors are what physically makes the gauge needles move, and in 2005 Ford had a run of bad stepper motors.

You can either replace the entire cluster, or buy new stepper motors and have them replaced. The link that amustangrocks provided will give you more information.

The stepper motors are only about $7.50US each, so parts are not expensive. However, you have to remove the cluster and unsolder them, and then solder in the new ones. Its about a 2 hour job if you are good with a soldering iron.

There is also a guy who advertises on e-Bay, and he will replace the motors for you if you send him your instrument cluster. This might be hard to do with international shipping.

Bruce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.