Ford Mustang Forum banner

Have you ever had the fuel pump nozzle shut off before tank was full?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted on behalf of Doctorq.

Doing some data gathering on the S197 Fuel Fill (premature nozzle shutoff) problem. Ford has replaced my entire EVAP emissions system, and nozzle still shuts off at 1/2 tank (only fills driver's side saddle tank). Every now and then, if I flip nozzle between 2 and 3 o-clock position, it will fill all the way up.. but that is not the answer. Anyway, Ford has agreed to send out an Engineer to evaluate my car. I'd like to take back some data showing Ford this is not an isolated problem. Your input is greatly appreciated.

You may make multiple selections.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I really had hoped this problem had gone away. A friend drove the local Ford dealer nuts trying to solve this problem when it first showed up in Spring of '05'. My '05' was build after May and didn't show that problem all the time but seemed to get better after time. Happened at one pump at the same station but then not at the others. Cold weather seemed to affect it more. I have not had this problem with my '07'.
Keep us posted, will try and find out some more on what my friend had to go thru.
Dave

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have never had this happen on my '08. But I also don't put the nozzle on full blast when filling. If there are three notches, I'll use #2. I wonder if this may have some effect on how well it works?

Frank

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
first model 05 here. I think I have to do it all most every time i fill up. I know I can get it fixed but im lazy.

and when people ask about it. I tell them because I am inverting it to fill my gas tank to bipass my flux capacitor lol

D

·
0 Posts
I have never had this happen on my '08. But I also don't put the nozzle on full blast when filling. If there are three notches, I'll use #2. I wonder if this may have some effect on how well it works?

Frank
I've tried just about everything. Per Ford's recommendation, I always run tank down under 1/4 tank before refueling...and, always fill at the slowest auto-fill position on the nozzle. Here's a link to one of my previous posts. Ford has already replaced most of the EVAP Emissions system and checked all other fuel related relays, solenoids, valves, and hoses. Next step: Ford sending Engineering entourage to dealership to evaluate.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-mustang-gt-tech/109871-2005-mustang-fuel-tank-fill.html

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Its funny this subject came up, here in California the have those stations with the black accordian thing on the nozzle and I cant even get it to fill 2 sec with out it shutting me off, so I go to the stations that dont have it, but I am still never sure if it full, my gauge says yes sometimes and other times not, I thought it was kinda odd but deal with it, If there is a solution I would like any info to resolve it, or do I take it to my dealer??

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mine fills up just fine, but, my problem is it empties too fast :hihi:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I been having this problem since I had bught it in 05'. I get it 3/4 an then I shake the car side to side to get it full. This works but I get some funny looks at the pump. This is at every fill up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mine does it sometimes. Some pumps are worse than others so I just avoid those. I usually use slow fill so I can ogle my car longer while it fills.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
If i turn the handle upside down while filling the tank, it normally solves the problem. However i am not allowed to pump my own gas and explaining to someone who only speaks Arabic to turn it upside down otherwise it might not fill up, it darn near impossible...

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 05 had the fill problem until Ford replaced my Gas tank back in Jan of 2006.
Now I have no problem filling it. (Knock on Wood!)

E

·
0 Posts
I've had the problem a handful of times, but managed to deal with it by inverting the nozzle and going real slow on the fill-up. I wont say the problem is gone, but its intermittent enough on mine as to not be much of a bother. Mine was built in mid June 05, so wasn't supposed to have the issue at all, but she can be finicky from time to time.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I'm taking the GT in next week to get a new gas tank and filler, hopefully this solves the problem....:so

N

·
0 Posts
Had this happen 2 times in the 3 months I've owned my 08 so far. 2 different stations. Both times, took to another station and filled right up. Can't remember if it what type of hose it was. California though.

D

·
0 Posts
I have to fill mine slow it seems like it takes all day.. sometimes i can hold the nozzle wide open and fill the tank, but its a rare occasion. I can usually only hold it maybe half open

·
Registered
527 Posts
this happens to me i try to slowly fill up tends to work but definately annoying good thing i have somthing beastly to look at when im doing it though

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine did it twice around half a tank. Went to the dealer and told them about it and that there was a recall on it. They looked it up and ordered me a new tank. No more problems.

What I did learn about it. It didn't do it at my regular gas station. It only did it at a couple of different ones around town. When it did it, I put my hip against my car and nudged it like I was trying to slosh the gas around and it finished filling up.

My wife's car had the same problem. Same solution. Both of them are early-mid 05's.

R

·
0 Posts
Mine did it twice around half a tank. Went to the dealer and told them about it and that there was a recall on it. They looked it up and ordered me a new tank. No more problems.

What I did learn about it. It didn't do it at my regular gas station. It only did it at a couple of different ones around town. When it did it, I put my hip against my car and nudged it like I was trying to slosh the gas around and it finished filling up.

My wife's car had the same problem. Same solution. Both of them are early-mid 05's.

Kind of same story.

New pumps are fine and only came across 2-3 old pumps since owning car that I had to invert gun.

Knew this trick on my boat, had to do same.

I use full speed ahead setting every time, time is money.

·
Registered
295 Posts
happens too often for me. almost every time I fill up. or try to anyway

1 - 20 of 144 Posts