Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, got the shaft installed and the customer service at Leonard Racing has been truly great... anyway...

1. While it was still on jackstands, I ran it in second at about 1500RPM (3.55 gears) and watched the shaft for movement. It wobbles in the back about 1/8 inch. Is that normal?

2. While pulling the flange, in the time it took to drop everything and get the new one in place, I spilled, between a grapefruit and a volleyball sized circle (when viewed from above the driveway). Should I add more fluid? How do I know how much?

3. The test drive was about two miles of city warm up, followed by me getting on the freeway and running her up to about 65, for 2 more miles. I hear a groaning noise on deceleration, that was not there before. Have I hurt something in the diff, by not adding fluid, quickly enough, if I do need to, which I am guessing I do?

4. Can I make my own DS loop and bolt it to where the old center bearing used to be?

5. The one piece shafts are not compatible with the Saleen Short Shift adapter! It rubs on the coupler :( Taking it off and driving it that way... stock... was awful. It's like shifting a wet cheeseburger or a jam donut. Why would anyone ever say the Mustang GT has a "notchy" shifter?!?! It's moosh! I never drove it with the shaft in and the shift adapter in. I MISS IT!

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
You shouldn't have done any damage with a little low on oil. YET. I would refill it to specs. When you were watching the d/s was the jack stans under the rear or body? You will have a little bit more noise because of the new shaft doen't have the same rubber mounting the old shaft has. As for the loop you'll have to look and see where it mounts and if it will hold the d/s in place if it comes apart. It won't be race legal.

Oh yea try a Pro 5.0 shifter fits like a glove.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
OK, got the shaft installed and the customer service at Leonard Racing has been truly great... anyway...

1. While it was still on jackstands, I ran it in second at about 1500RPM (3.55 gears) and watched the shaft for movement. It wobbles in the back about 1/8 inch. Is that normal?
No that doesn't seem normal. Should be no visible movement.
2. While pulling the flange, in the time it took to drop everything and get the new one in place, I spilled, between a grapefruit and a volleyball sized circle (when viewed from above the driveway). Should I add more fluid? How do I know how much?
Without a fill port on the diff cover it's tough to say. The diff holds 4.5 pts of fluid. Fill port is on the rear/driver side of the pumpkin.
3. The test drive was about two miles of city warm up, followed by me getting on the freeway and running her up to about 65, for 2 more miles. I hear a groaning noise on deceleration, that was not there before. Have I hurt something in the diff, by not adding fluid, quickly enough, if I do need to, which I am guessing I do?
Don't think you lost enough to hurt anything. Might just be extra NVH from the one-piece shaft.
4. Can I make my own DS loop and bolt it to where the old center bearing used to be?
Sure you can. Just be careful of the clearances
5. The one piece shafts are not compatible with the Saleen Short Shift adapter! It rubs on the coupler :( Taking it off and driving it that way... stock... was awful. It's like shifting a wet cheeseburger or a jam donut. Why would anyone ever say the Mustang GT has a "notchy" shifter?!?! It's moosh! I never drove it with the shaft in and the shift adapter in. I MISS IT!

Thanks for any help.
What shifter are you going to go with?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No that doesn't seem normal. Should be no visible movement.
Crud. I'll unbolt it from the flange and try different holes. Rotate 90 degrees maybe. As long as I'm in there, in goes the upper control arm. I have been chauffering it around under the passenger's seat for long enough. Giving it a tour of the floor mats.

Without a fill port on the diff cover it's tough to say. The diff holds 4.5 pts of fluid. Fill port is on the rear/driver side of the pumpkin.
Maybe a shot glass'-worth, or a little more, I'm guessing. I used to refuel planes so, I can guess fairly close. Maybe.

Don't think you lost enough to hurt anything. Might just be extra NVH from the one-piece shaft.
To be safe, I sent a quick note to Ron at RLRacing. Otherwise, I am hoofing it, to the NAPA, taking the Chevrolegs, tomorrow, to get gear oil. 50W90? Not Royal Purple! I am uber-broke right now.

What shifter are you going to go with?
I'm thinking Hurst. Pro 5.0 sounds good too. I was so disappointed having to remove my $26 shifter. Will any shifter fit though? Don't they all work on the same principle? Longer lower arm? It needs to be adjustable so I can grind off the part that is leftover, if it rubs on the rubber bellows of the shaft.

Huh... I'll have to look, maybe I can just reverse my Saleen one so the shift arm, from the tranny goes on the other side... I doubt it. Why can't I adjust the whole shifter mechanism up?

Poo! And other comments.

Those 12 sided bolts were insane. I have never seen one of those but they are kind of cool. Even if they only fit a 12 point socket! Good luck finding a 12 point impact socket. As first glance I am like "Are you f---ing kidding me?!?!" Then of course, all the bolts are different sizes and the flange bolts are all 12MM but the pinion nut is 1 1/8" and the carrier bolts are something else (but 6 sided!). Ford needs to flipping pick one!

I think I killed all the grass seed in my garage, with my swearing. You should have seen me trying to hook the chrome gear puller, one (oily) handed. Jack Nicholson and Anthony Hopkins would have been frightened of me!

Anybody know how to make an air ratchet start working again? Mine just stopped. It still works as a regular ratchet, just blows air when I hit the lever. All the whacking and fiddling has not made it go. It is oiled and all the gears seem fine, except for not working.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Crud. I'll unbolt it from the flange and try different holes. Rotate 90 degrees maybe. As lopng as I'm in there, in goes the upper control arm. I have been chauffering it around under the passenger's seat for long enough. Giving it a tour of the floor mats.

Maybe a shot glass'-worth, or a little more, I'm guessing. I used to refuel planes so, I can guess fairly close. Maybe.

To be safe, I sent a quick note to Ron at RLRacing. Otherwise, I am hoofing it, to the NAPA, taking the Chevrolegs.

I'm thinking Hurst. Pro 5.0 sounds good too. I was so disappointed having to remove my $26 shifter. Will any shifter fit though? Don't they all work on the same principle? Longer lower arm? It needs to be adjustable so I can grind off the part that is leftover, if it rubs on the rubber bellows of the shaft.

Huh... I'll have to look, maybe I can just reverse my Saleen one so the shift arm, from the tranny goes on the other side... I doubt it.

Poo! And other comments.

Those 12 sided bolts were insane. I have never seen one of those but they are kind of cool. Even if they only fit a 12 point socket! Good luck finding a 12 point impact socket. As first glance I am like "Are you f---ing kidding me?!?!" Then of course, all the bolts are different sizes and the flange bolts are all 12MM but the pinion nut is 1 1/8" and the carrier bolts are something else (but 6 sided!). Ford needs to flipping pick one!

I think I killed all the grass seed in my garage, with my swearing.
Rotating is a good idea. The Hurst or the Pro 5.0 (or MGW for that matter) will all fit fine.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rotating is a good idea. The Hurst or the Pro 5.0 (or MGW for that matter) will all fit fine.
Hurst looks good and is waaaayyyy cheaper than the 5.0 :headscratch: Did you have one, at one point? What can you tell me about them?

The bad news about rotating the shaft, on the flange is that there are 8 holes, so there are 7 more possibilities. At least the weather is expected to hold.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Hurst looks good and is waaaayyyy cheaper than the 5.0 :headscratch: Did you have one, at one point? What can you tell me about them?

The bad news about rotating the shaft, on the flange is that there are 8 holes, so there are 7 more possibilities. At least the weather is expected to hold.
Both are good shifters. I just like the 5.0's 2nd to 3rd feel better than the Hurst.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, this site is so slow today!

Anyway, I got the shaft moved to where it wobbles the least. Maybe 1/16th of an inch.

However! On the freeway, as soon as I let off the gas, even slightly, I get a rapid vibration, much like driving over rumble strips, which passes after a second or two. Something is not right and I am sick of this. It was a five hour job to get the old one out and the new one in. In other words, there is not enough time to swap back, before dark. I will be creeping to work tomorrow unless someone can tell me what to do to fix this.

Still haven't heard from leonard racing :(

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Man, this site is so slow today!

Anyway, I got the shaft moved to where it wobbles the least. Maybe 1/16th of an inch.

However! On the freeway, as soon as I let off the gas, even slightly, I get a rapid vibration, much like driving over rumble strips, which passes after a second or two. Something is not right and I am sick of this. It was a five hour job to get the old one out and the new one in. In other words, there is not enough time to swap back, before dark. I will be creeping to work tomorrow unless someone can tell me what to do to fix this.

Still haven't heard from leonard racing :(
Unfortunately you're not the first to have had a vibration problem with the Spydershaft.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And that one guy with a vibration problem wrecked his whole car! Engine, transmission, etc. I don't want to be that guy. This has been a very disappointing episode. I am starting to envy FUZZYDICE's world. Never lift a wrench and sleep good at night.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ugh. I am guessing. I don't see why it vibrates so bad on letting off the gas though, and not all the time. What do I know about harmonics?

I sent another email to Ron's regular address. Looks like I was replying to his wife's work addy.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Unfortunately you're not the first to have had a vibration problem with the Spydershaft.
Your right...another member posted concerns about his spider vibrating at cruise speeds of 80mph.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If you can see a visible wobble in the rear flange, you have something fubarred with the install. The shaft isn't seating in the pinion flange or something similar. When I installed mine, I checked for runout on the front, middle, and rear and had less than .010". Re-check your installation.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you can see a visible wobble in the rear flange, you have something fubarred with the install. The shaft isn't seating in the pinion flange or something similar. When I installed mine, I checked for runout on the front, middle, and rear and had less than .010". Re-check your installation.
The flange is great, the shaft is wobbling. I can't see any wobble at the flange or u-joint although it is harder to tell there, because of the asymetric shape of the thing.

Wherever I mounted it, on the flange, the part moved.

Another thing I just thought of... 3/4 of the rotation, I can see no movement. Only in one part of the shaft does it wobble out. Like maybe it's eliptical.

Great.

·
Registered
912 Posts
When you recieved it thru shipping did you check for any dings/dents? You didn't happen to drop during install? That would create an unbalance.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
He's not lowered so that should not be a factor. But, it's still worth a check..
Neither is mine but mine is some where around 0 A d/s will vib in both direction no just on coast. Thats why I was thinking pinion angel. The rear will rap back the other direction.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.