Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have two dogs that like to "help" too... I'll be working on something, and get a cold nose in the ear or the small of the back.
And there's no ignoring a cold, wet nose. Or a cat tongue in your earhole. It doesn't purr, really just an interruption in it's breathing. "f-dfff f-dffff" and it's HUGE. This cat looks like it ate a pumpkin. It's meow sounds just like a kitten. Hard not to think it's adorable. It rolls around and polishes my driveway too. Like I have an organic driveway buffer.

Cool.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I checked the way the flange hooks up and it is not machined flat. The U-Joint sits flush with the flange but on the back, one bolt barely sticks out past the back and the opposite bolt sticks out two threads!

Ron said to check that and there it is. Spicer's bad. Ron said they machined some as much as 0.1 out of tolerance! Mine was an old shaft so I am guessign it got into the pile before the checking went on. It was a photo-op shaft.

The worst of this is that I have to undo the most painful part. Pull the flange and release more car-blood. It makes me worry. This time I will have the drain catch under there, rather than wipe it off the driveway, after the fact. That's some amazingly slimy stuff! And it just doesn't stop being slimy. I could pet the stray cat and then maybe she'd leave me alone, but I bet not. Probably just wipe along the car and through my hair...

Cats are evil.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,823 Posts
I checked the way the flange hooks up and it is not machined flat. The U-Joint sits flush with the flange but on the back, one bolt barely sticks out past the back and the opposite bolt sticks out two threads!

Ron said to check that and there it is. Spicer's bad. Ron said they machined some as much as 0.1 out of tolerance! Mine was an old shaft so I am guessign it got into the pile before the checking went on. It was a photo-op shaft.

The worst of this is that I have to undo the most painful part. Pull the flange and release more car-blood. It makes me worry. This time I will have the drain catch under there, rather than wipe it off the driveway, after the fact. That's some amazingly slimy stuff! And it just doesn't stop being slimy. I could pet the stray cat and then maybe she'd leave me alone, but I bet not. Probably just wipe along the car and through my hair...

Cats are evil.
Glad you figured it out. Is he just sending the new flange or an entire assembly?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Glad you figured it out. Is he just sending the new flange or an entire assembly?
He said "whole new shaft, with flange", but who knows now that I told him about the flange and his last email to me was that he would install the whole apparatus, on his car and check it himself, then send it to me if it's perfect. What a relief. I hope it works. Driving to work, on the slow roads is really wearing on me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
glad to hear you kinda' sorted this out..........if one of my air ratchets stops working at work, i just SLAM it on the ground really hard. Not too good for a $300 Matco piece, but it does the trick.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
glad to hear you kinda' sorted this out..........if one of my air ratchets stops working at work, i just SLAM it on the ground really hard. Not too good for a $300 Matco piece, but it does the trick.
Thanks. Is there a way to get to the thing that turns the central gear? That is locked up tight. Looks like little bits of soft plastic are in with the oil in the planetary gears too. Not much and they don't seem to affect function but I am cleaning them out too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
never had my air ratchet apart, but i have a cheap one, and an expensive one. I'll look at both of them and see if they are any difference between the two, and i'll see if i an get them apart.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Mine, I can unscrew the handle from the head and get to the gears but I can't get to the shaft between the main, incoming gear and the air inlet. It was cheap but also hardly used.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The worst of this is that I have to undo the most painful part. Pull the flange and release more car-blood. It makes me worry. This time I will have the drain catch under there, rather than wipe it off the driveway, after the fact. That's some amazingly slimy stuff!

Just gives you an excuse to buy a shiny new diff cover with a drain plug. That cat stuff you were talking about was killin me! :hihi:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Jetblack, did you ever get this resolved? Was it just the back of the shaft that was hopping? Was it the flange?

Having problems with mine and troubleshooting everything I can.

·
Registered
210 Posts
this subject is disturbing.....i wanna get a driveshaft and someone says
the spyder is a good one....then i see these horror stories.....at the price of those shafts there shouldn't be any problems ?? now i don't know if its worth the investment.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
this subject is disturbing.....i wanna get a driveshaft and someone says
the spyder is a good one....then i see these horror stories.....at the price of those shafts there shouldn't be any problems ?? now i don't know if its worth the investment.

Buy a Power house drive shaft the only one without issues.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Buy a Power house drive shaft the only one without issues.
Is the Powerhouse a cut down Ford Ranger 4" shaft (like the Spyder and others)?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.