Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently my check engine light came on and noticed that the backlights on my gauges were starting to flicker on and off rapidly and the same thing was happening with my head lights. Later that day when I went to go start it, it wouldn't start unless I gave it gas at the same time I was holding in the clutch and trying to start it and it's been doing that ever since. I took my car to autozone and they said that I needed a new alternator. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? And if so, what replacement alternator would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
586 Posts
You will hear the good and the bad on just about any alternator made on these sites. Cheap way is to buy one on ebay and hope it works. Then you could go buy one at Autozone which has better prices than Advance, 100.00 on the one you should consider. You could have yours rebuilt, which I am doing, plus having gotten one at Advance and paying way to much. TY very much Mustang Shop. You could buy one from DOB if you have room on the back side of your alternator. He has an updated alternator that is sweet.

Best price for performance is the Crown Vic Interceptor alternator. Less than 200.00 at Autozone and has 200+ AMPs for same or less dollars, and a lifetime warranty. Should fit wo too much problem, pulley is just a bit smaller, and may want to buy a new belt. That one is also in my truck and matched up perfectly with the 2008 alternator.

Never had a PA, but reviews are mixed. No clutch pulley on the PA's.

Do a search and you can find some more info out there.

Good Luckdance.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Get an alternator for a 2010 mustang. Its a 3 phase. 05-09 mustangs have a 2 phase alternator. Junk and known for being bad even if theyre are new and test good.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The PA I bought for my 05 was bad right out of the box. I think the shipping did it in. I ended up trading the car in with the light on and told them it was the alternator. Go with auto parts store one that offers a lifetime warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get an alternator for a 2010 mustang. Its a 3 phase. 05-09 mustangs have a 2 phase alternator. Junk and known for being bad even if theyre are new and test good.
Will a 2010 3-phase bolt right up to a 2007 2-phase alternator? Will the wiring still be the same? Any ill effects from the swap? Anything else need to be changed? Thanks!question.gif

·
Registered
586 Posts
The connectors on the 2010 face to the back of the alternator. You need to make sure you have room. With my SC it did not and so the DOB alternator would not fit.....for you it very well may.
I had no room at all to make it happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts